Good file sharing NAS (mostly SFTP)

thefatmoop

This client of ours wants a simple FTP server with permissions and groups. We started out with an ubuntu server 8.10, but permission settings were beginning to be a hassle.

We hooked them up with the latest version of FreeNAS, but we're just having too many problems with permissions on the SFTP... I'm about 2 days away from saying %#@$ it and making them buy windows server 2003 to just vpn over and use network shared resources.

I looked for a good guide on how to configure file permissions for groups of people, but i'm having a really hard time getting chmod/chown to work on a specific user/folder.

Does anyone know of an sftp / smb server program that lets the admin configure user permissions on certain folders? Or of a site that does a good job explaining how to use permissions on linux?

This client of ours wants a simple FTP server with permissions and groups. We started out with an ubuntu server 8.10, but permission settings were beginning to be a hassle.

We hooked them up with the latest version of FreeNAS, but we're just having too many problems with permissions on the SFTP... I'm about 2 days away from saying %#@$ it and making them buy windows server 2003 to just vpn over and use network shared resources.

I looked for a good guide on how to configure file permissions for groups of people, but i'm having a really hard time getting chmod/chown to work on a specific user/folder.

Does anyone know of an sftp / smb server program that lets the admin configure user permissions on certain folders? Or of a site that does a good job explaining how to use permissions on linux?

read the freenas manual

The problem is that for most people the unix groups concept is just too simplistic. If things are simple, no problem but overlapping groups make things tough.

What most people really want are ACLs and THAT is (can be) complex.

Unless we know what kinds of usages (both from the user point of view and the file point of view) you're trying to provide we can't provide much help beyond "Read the manual".

Standard unix groups might not work for your situation.