Advanced Home Network.

Badmanh

Hey, i live with 4 people and it's come to our attention that we need a centralized home network, many of use have had hard drive issues etc, well i wont bore you, lets get down to the "meat" of what i need..

We need a centralized gaming server, basically I'm gonna run a windows server 2008 machine with a Dual Quad Xeon, and ten gigs of ram, and 2x 2GB Radeon HD 4850.

The users will be connected via mutli gige switches, the users desktops will connect to the server with the games on it. C:\ will be locked (so they can't fuck around etc)

And the server will have the following drives H: I: :L all being on an NAS server connected via a gig-e switch. The users will have a start up batch script which configures this and sorts out the permissions etc.

How reliable would this be? e.g having a 'BASIC' gfx card on the client, and a much more powerful one on the server.

Look forward to your replies!

-badmanh.

(Hope I'm not being to vague)

I'd ditch the graphics cards, they aren't going to help any thing. The Xeons are also way over the top for what you need. Get a quad core Core2 or Core i7 for the same price or cheaper.

3 hard drives? Put them in RAID 5 with the forth as the boot drive. Take a image of the boot drive put it on the RAID. Running games off the server over the network is asking for trouble. By all means put the installers on the server, don't run them from there.

10GB of RAM? Unless you are running every single game server all the time this also seems over the top. Also, 10GB is a obscure number for memory, computers love the numbers 2, 4, 8, 16, 32 and so on. That is assuming you are using a 64bit operating system.

Server 2008? Seems unnecessary, XP Pro will do what you need it to do.

Are you going to actually run games on this machine? If you are, its not going to work like you think it will.

Yeah, I don't think I really understand what he's hoping to accomplish with this. I have some ideas about what he's hoping to accomplish, but they're really too silly to suggest.

2x 2GB Radeon HD 4850. ?!?!

Unless you're gonna run Crysis at full high in listen mode this is completely and totally useless.

I was hoping to run the actual games for the users ON the server, and have the physical PC to connect to the server and run the games, i was just wondering if i can be done, if not then heh, ill just use the NAS for backups.

And i know Windows server Edition doesnt have directx support, but i read somewhere that you can mod it to run directx..

I was hoping to run the actual games for the users ON the server, and have the physical PC to connect to the server and run the games, i was just wondering if i can be done, if not then heh, ill just use the NAS for backups.

So what you are trying to accomplish is that you want 4 terminal computer to access this server and run the games from there.. :(

If i get it right no such technology is present at the time, Graphics is a delicate thing, and can only be processed on the local computer. All the technology existing today uses emulated S3 (or similar) card for video on remote location or VM. Plus if you ever get a good graphics card to deliver images to a slave card, you will have major lag.

Games are meant to be run on local hardware and not on server not even virtual machine on local computer.