Downloading from IRC and USENET

L337G33K

HI..

I was just wondering :huh: how to download from irc??and i know that you have to pay to use usenet..so how to download from irc[which is free,I guess :blink: ].

Please gimme a detailed and step-by-step guide coz i'm n00b :mellow: when it comes to irc.I have use P2P for a while but people say irc is faster and is more geekier[nerdier].

Maybe I am little off here, but as far as I know IRC is chatting network, sure you can send files to other users, but I don't think you can actually download things (like "real" p2p).

Altough you could have bot up which would send files out when it got right messages...

Maybe I am little off here, but as far as I know IRC is chatting network, sure you can send files to other users, but I don't think you can actually download things (like "real" p2p).

Altough you could have bot up which would send files out when it got right messages...

IRC is the original p2p, only, direct one on one, not multiple sources at one time. I'm surprised you never heard of TMD ot Extreme-Moviez, two of the biggest pirate movie and music networks at one time.

IRC is the original p2p, only, direct one on one, not multiple sources at one time. I'm surprised you never heard of TMD ot Extreme-Moviez, two of the biggest pirate movie and music networks at one time.

So you are saying that there was pirate services working on IRC networks? Maybe I am just noob, but that doesn't sound too good solution.

So you are saying that there was pirate services working on IRC networks? Maybe I am just noob, but that doesn't sound too good solution.

I'm not saying its good, or that you should even be using it for that sort of thing(or doing warez for that matter - That is completely up to you though, I won't preach about it, its your choice), but 99% of warez, serial numbers, movies, mp3s, etc, can be found on IRC as fast if not faster and easier than on some torrent sites. Sometimes its the only place to find something really obscure, like an old song, cartoon or movie that no one has anywhere.

Is it safe. Not really, but depends on where and who you know and what you are looking for. Packetnews is probably one of the best resources for searching files on IRC networks. If your SSh'd into some server somewhere and are cloaking your traffic, about the only thing you really have to worry about is an insecure IRC program, worms and virus spam bots in the channels and there are scripts and things you can do to protect(up to a point) yourself from these things.

Underground IRC networks are like the final frontier for mishief and mayhem, old school hacking and botnets. It's one of the last remaining places where there are large scenes all to themselves that thrive on anonymity and anarchy sort of like the old BBS days of trading games and artwork.

O.K. I agree what if you know people on IRC who probably will have the file you are looking for it's easier to just go ask from them and get the files, but it will never be as easy as torrents for example

Also you have to remember, IRC has been around for a long long time (20 years now), so, at the time, there wasn't much else. There were no P2P networks. Also, you have to remember that it wasn't until people started switching to Windows that they were able to run more than one program at a time, and so if you could kill two birds with one stone, why not?

O.K. I agree what if you know people on IRC who probably will have the file you are looking for it's easier to just go ask from them and get the files, but it will never be as easy as torrents for example

IRC kills torrents for selection of real content(vs fake rar files found on torrents ;) ) and sometimes even for speed, depending on where the other user is in the world and who their ISP is. Its finding the right networks that is the hard part. When I can't find a certain song or album anywhere, I can usually find it on an IRC network.

Is it safe. Not really, but depends on where and who you know and what you are looking for. Packetnews is probably one of the best resources for searching files on IRC networks. If your SSh'd into some server somewhere and are cloaking your traffic, about the only thing you really have to worry about is an insecure IRC program, worms and virus spam bots in the channels and there are scripts and things you can do to protect(up to a point) yourself from these things.

What do you mean by it is not safe?

Is it the malicious software?

What do you mean by it is not safe?

Is it the malicious software?

Warez Sharing IRC networks are known havens for malware, virii, bot nets, spam bots, black hat hackers, etc. Depending on the network and the channel can determine the level of safety one can come to expect, as well as your knowledge of your IRC client, its flaws and weaknesses, connection settings, and the fact that when connecting(unless through a wingate or proxy, ssh, etc) your real IP address is visible to everyone else in the channel unless the network masks it. All you have to do is connect to a nick or send a file to them and you can ge their iP address. If someone is not set up to block automatic downloads, then the person on the other end will now have a target IP address to scan and do with what they want.

This is why its good to use a vhost and register with a network you trust and know people on. It's also why people shouldn't download warez when they don't know enough about how something works. How many people out there get infected on p2p clients because they just don't know what they are doing. Same goes for IRC when on a network that doesn't filter and moderate their channels for malicious users.

IRC is just like the rest of the internet. Insecure. You are just as vulnerable on IRC as you are on any website, if not more vulnerable depending on your client, OS, and settings.

Thanks digip.I believe I'm on a trusted network and have a pretty robust security system.I am receiving files from the bots on the network.

Thanks for the info.I'm glad that I have learnt something. :lol:

I still love IRC though! I don't use it as much these days, but its still a great thing for freedom on the internet.

I used to run my own fserve years ago, but stopped when they started to really crack down on stuff with the whole riaa and napster stuff.

how have so many people missed this chapter of the internet?

Depends on when you were born and who you know that uses it I guess. IRC used to be the only place to go chat online before things like aim, yahoo and msn messenger became popular among kids. Some people forget the whole file sharing aspect of IRC and only think of it as a "chatroom" when its so much more than that. There are people who control whole networks of computers from IRC channels(granted, the computers on the other end are probably users who have no idea someone is even controlling their pc).

Maybe the whole "Internet Relay Chat" confuses people to think it's chatting program, but if you think about it you can share files in almost any chatting program so...

Maybe the whole "Internet Relay Chat" confuses people to think it's chatting program, but if you think about it you can share files in almost any chatting program so...

Oh the sarcasm....lol

I'm just stating the fact that it does so much more than just simple chatting or "send me a naked pic of yourself" through instant messenger. File sharing being just one of those aspects IRC happens to be both good at and usefull for.

File sharing in things like AIM and Messenger are nothing like a drive by in IRC where you can join, run a few ctcp commands and go about your bussiness while your client just sits and downloads them for you. The person on the other end doesn't even have to engage you in a chat or approve your request for the files. Things like AIM require you to be speaking to someone one-on-one from your friends list or whatever and agree to send or receive a file from each other. IRC is more automated. Once you search for something you want you just copy and paste the files you want from the fserve(or click them in some clients) and leave your client up until they all download. Plus, if you queue up more than one of the same file from multiple people(because ping timeouts and other shit happens) you will just drop the one file and resume the same from another fserve without having to even do anything to fix the issue.

If they built multiple p2p type of downloading protocol into the dcc/fserve setup of IRC clients, it would probably take over torrents and other p2p services as the number one download tool for illegal file sharing.