Linux challenges anybody?

H@L0_F00

So I was thinking about how I could learn as much as possible about Linux.

Anyways... I was wondering if we could start some type of "Linux Challenge" per say, to help new Linux users, with more and more popping up daily, myself being one, that don't know where to start or just want to learn more.

People come up with something for participants to try that can help them get accustomed and familiar w/ Linux. The suggestions should be tailored to almost complete n00bs at first but can get increasingly difficult and/or more in depth.

There should also be no answers given away of how exactly to accomplish the task but maybe hints and n00b to n00b discussion :D

Any suggestions would be great

Thanks in advance ;)

Do this:

http://maddhat.com/?p=23

So that you can use linux without messing up your PC. Most new machines will boot from a USB. Backtrack has a lot of tools already installed and ready to go.

Or you could do this:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/FromUSBStick

And once you feel more comfortable, you can move on.

Good reading:

http://www.debian.org/doc/

http://doc.ubuntu.com/

Also, think of things you'd like to be able to accomplish. Like be able to configure all of your networking manually, wireless and wired. Then read the docs and howto's to figure out how to do it.

Most of all....

Welcome to the fold! ;-)

Live distro's are training wheels everyone needs to take them off sooner or later debian

That's exactly why I started this post! haha I've been using BT2&3 for a while now, mainly for WEP cracking but I would like to get into the wonderful world of Linux to a greater degree ;)

install arch linux ;)

if thats a bit too hard command line your self around and copy a file from 1 directory to another and then delete that file.

also open a picture txt and mp3 file

That's really easy... it comes with an installer that you basically just press next-next-next on lol.

That's really easy... it comes with an installer that you basically just press next-next-next on lol.

It's easy in a sense, but for someone (e.g. me) who used Ubuntu previously, there are times when you do things like spend 30 minutes trying to get your webcam working, only to realize you're not in the video group :P. For any newbies reading this, you probably /don't/ want to try Arch as your first step into Linux, but I would fully encourage trying it later on.

Right now my neighbor and I are in the process of setting up a Linux-based, pay-to-use, proxy server using SSH as to allude the use of a proxy. I'll be marketing it to people at my school because proxies are blocked quite quickly here. We'll probably have a webserver on it as well with instructions and necessary files (putty). FTP will be enabled to but only for our personal use.

We started off using Ubuntu 8.10 Desktop but I plan on installing CentOS 5.2 this weekend which is more reliable and hopefully less point 'n' click.

Sound like a good project to you guys?

It's easy in a sense, but for someone (e.g. me) who used Ubuntu previously, there are times when you do things like spend 30 minutes trying to get your webcam working, only to realize you're not in the video group :P. For any newbies reading this, you probably /don't/ want to try Arch as your first step into Linux, but I would fully encourage trying it later on.

That's true. The challenge isn't installing Arch, but getting it functioning exactly the way you want it. Imho, it's actually a better place to start than Ubuntu because you learn so much more when you aren't even given a GDE to start out with.

And if your really want to go for a GNU/Linux distro you have to go with gNewSense

Gerard

gNewSense has a rich graphical user interface, a full office suite, plus web browsers, email management, instant messaging, calendaring and for developers — the full GNU developer toolchain, GNU Emacs, a variety of compilers, debuggers and more.

See thats exactly what I don't want <_<

I already know how to point n click...

Then you know enough to get on with everyday tasks on a computer. Who cares about the rest?

Thats pretty true, and I was like that when I first switched over... "oh I can make word docs and chat, Im good". Then I started playing with terminal a lot more and broke a few things, so its always good to have a little more knowledge than really required.

Try these things

Kill X and try to login via command line. From there list the contents of your home folder and find a "small" file to copy to your desk top. After its been copied, restart X and log back in to see it it worked.

Edit your grub settings so that it wait 1sec, you can usually catch it before it loads the OS so 1 sec is more than enough.

Try build most of your applications from source. Dont just use the "make install" command, be sure to configure them if they have to option.

and thats all i cant think of without doing to deep