Unlocking a locked workstation?

VaKo

While I have a tremendous amount of leeway regarding the content of the images my company uses, anything which deals with security settings like this application must be reviewed before its deployed. I.e. changes must be controlled. If the senior admin says no to this, as happened with iPhones + Exchange, then its a no go. So basically I have to run some trials and then make a buisness case for this software being purchased.

Keep me in the loop. I am really interested in what they will have to say.

• 5 months later...

There was never enough interest in implimenting this, so it never went further than some bluesky talks.

As for your suggestion USBHacker, I have domain admin access, so only a couple of people have more access than I do. The primary aim of this is to allow me to unlock a locked computer using my domain admin credentials rather than requiring the users login details. I can already login from various places but not without kicking a user off.

where i work they use Dameware and start and stop the service when needed to complete a remote help desk session. For many of the simple printer/ software doesn't work etc... remotely these issues can be remedied. If you are attempting to adjust physical connection or such then locking can be troublesome. Another idea could be to schedule a time in which the user will be at the desk. allowing the user to find time that computer work can be halted for your attention.

where i work they use Dameware and start and stop the service when needed to complete a remote help desk session. For many of the simple printer/ software doesn't work etc... remotely these issues can be remedied. If you are attempting to adjust physical connection or such then locking can be troublesome. Another idea could be to schedule a time in which the user will be at the desk. allowing the user to find time that computer work can be halted for your attention.

tbh now I just farm if off on the helpdesk people.

Good call, I would agree with above that this isn't a technical issue, but I do sympathise that usually I have time to work on a problem NOW, not in 10-20 minutes later when you finally track the user down and get them to unlock.

Kind of besides the point, but mad props to your end users locking their computers when they step AFK, I can't count how many unattended logged in computers I've walked past.