VB.NET 2008 IM program

Micah C

Hello Hak5 community,

I need to create a VB.NET 2008 program that would allow me to have a local instant messaging program between 2 or 3 computers. Once the message is received there should be a sound played. I am fairly new to internet and network programming. I have some VB.Net 2005 code for sockets but i need to have it implemented in 2008. Ideally there would be a GUI interface. Can anyone help?

Sincerely,

Micah C

Thanks for the input guys. I keep getting errors with the server when debugging. I think i might take a different approach. I was thinking i could use psexec to execute a program on the remote computer that would play an audio file. That would alert the person im trying to get a hold of. This program was really meant to be used as more of a buzzer or intercom type thing. I will still be accepting any input or ideas tho.

In actuality, It is not hard to do what you are talking about at all. A central computer that hosts the server program.. and allows others to connect to it and can get messages, like to a big chat room. There is also another way.. where you can all talk to people on the network separately. Something like AIM. I suppose I could help you. Add me to your instant messenger of choice. All-tho. I do use skype the most. Find the info in my profile. And if my Skye screen name is not there. It is "Angablade".