Linux Gaming PC?

Apollo

Alright, a friend just asked me if I think it is a good idea for him to convert his current Windows XP 32 bit Gaming PC to a Linux Gaming PC. In my opinion a terrible move but I figured I would expand the question base to include you guys. Any and all comments welcome.

System Specs:

AMD Phenom 9750 (2.5 Quad)

4 GB DDR2 800

Nvidia 280GTX w/ 768mb GDDR3

All the relevant sys specs (I think)

Well he does have a powerful system,

I wouldn't plan on gaming much in Linux.

• 4 weeks later...

^^ Agreed.. if your main thing with PC is gaming then stick with Windows... if you want to dabble with *nix then you would be better off running Linux from a virtual machine within Windows,.. that setup is powerful enough for sure !!

Linux isn't a serious gaming platform to be brutally honest, it has games but they tend to feature badly animated penguins or are clones of the games you loved 2 years ago. You can run some windows games under WINE and occasionally they get ported to linux but not often. If you are a gamer then install Vista x64 for your games (with 2GB+ RAM, Vista x64 is faster than XP, I have 6GB and I get 10FPS+ in BF2 under Vista), and either dual boot Ubuntu or obtain a copy of VMware Workstation. Vista is just better for games and audio, while linux naturally lends itself to tasks such as servers, appliances, data processing and development.

GAMING ON PC = WINDOWS

as for the VMware idea earlier. running a game on a VM is a terrible idea. You don't get the benefits of the awesome video card that guy has. Becuase VM emulates a fairly basic card.

Run linux in a VM, but they you lose all the cool stuff you can do with ur hardware, because ur not accessing ur hardware. ur accessing VMware hardware....but by all means load up a free copy of server and play with Linux. it'll never pick up market share if ppl don't use it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Maybe it is time to look at the WINE, and create a additional layer (which will allow same access as Windows) for Windows Games under Linux.

hell, maybe for wine they should just go ahead and set it up where you put in a legit copy of windows, it rips everything but the gui and extra programs (ie. notepad/etc) and just boots with that for a compatibility layer when using WINE. That way it *is* emulation, BUT only to emulate the Compatibility layer.

hell, maybe for wine they should just go ahead and set it up where you put in a legit copy of windows, it rips everything but the gui and extra programs (ie. notepad/etc) and just boots with that for a compatibility layer when using WINE. That way it *is* emulation, BUT only to emulate the Compatibility layer.

True, i hate to use WINE, if i ever need to run windows app on a Linux machine, VirtualBox is my best bet...

Linux isn't a serious gaming platform to be brutally honest, it has games but they tend to feature badly animated penguins or are clones of the games you loved 2 years ago. You can run some windows games under WINE and occasionally they get ported to linux but not often. If you are a gamer then install Vista x64 for your games (with 2GB+ RAM, Vista x64 is faster than XP, I have 6GB and I get 10FPS+ in BF2 under Vista), and either dual boot Ubuntu or obtain a copy of VMware Workstation. Vista is just better for games and audio, while linux naturally lends itself to tasks such as servers, appliances, data processing and development.

I disagree on Vista, even in the 64 bit mode. I choose to run XP 64 bit. It's leaner and for gaming screams on my system. I also seem to get better results with older games as well like Unreal or COD 2. As well as awesome response from newer games...like the ever buggy COD WaW.....