Dreamhost

ForsetiAvatar

Ok, after all my years of being on the net, I finally registered a domain for myself. Yay

Normally when setting up/transferring a domain for a business, I use network solutions directly. But their single year prices suck and I did not want to register for multiple years as I may never use the thing. So, I went w/ dreamhost.

*Editor's Note: Removed a bunch of rambling text. I tend to go on at length, damn technical writing skills.*

To be brief (for once), there is no way I see to add/change DNS records. Or to rephrase, I do not think you can do it w/o a hosting package. WTF is that all about??? Are you telling me that I can not Change the CNAME or A records or *gasps* add a fu**ing MX record on my own f***ing domain???

*Takes deep breath*

Now, it may be that I will never need to do this, I may have dreamhost host a site sometime in the future. It just annoys the piss out of me that this is not feature that comes w/ registration of a domain. I mean come on, that is what I am paying for. The ownership of exampledomain.com and the ability to point it to wherever the f****ing h#!! I want it to point.

</rant>

I think I need a smoke...

I thought that if you were serious about a website you would get 1 party to do your DNS, and then you can just get hosting wherever you want, and play with DNS as you see fit. When you get a full hosting package it usually includes DNS and in that case you indeed are at the mercy of the hoster when it comes to getting control over that record since most mere mortals don't want anything but the default.

Actually, you can.

In your dreamhost control panel, under the 'domains' tab open 'manage domains'. Click the DNS link next to the domain and from there you can modify A, MX, CNAME, TXT, NS, PTR, SRV records.

Dreamhost is the only host I've ever been with that gives you this much flexability with the DNS. It's great. Hak5.org is registered with them and without those domain management options it wouldnt be so easy for me to setup A records for game.hak5.org, voice.hak5.org, and irc.hak5.org.

Though to be fair the rest of my domains including hack5.org, hak5.tv, and darrenkitchen.net are hosted through godaddy.

Forum kinda hiccuped there for a sec, thought I had pissed sombody off at dreamhost. lol.

I tried going to 'manage domains' and it said "No Domains". When I went to the 'Add domain' link it took me to a hosting signup page. Do you have any domains registered w/ them w/o a hosting package? Maybe I have to let it sit for a while to let the change propogate? I would not have thought so since I registered w/ them.

If you registered the domain with them it should show up there. If you just did this today you might need to wait for sync and all that jazz. But I've got 4 domains with my hosting package and can do all my DNS maintenance on that tab. If it's still not working for ya hit up the Dreamhost Wiki (which rocks) or email support. They're really good at getting back with solutions.

OK.... now I am pissed.

On 6/9/06, DreamHost Customer Support Team <support@dreamhost.com> wrote:

Hello,

You will need to order hosting service and then add your new domain name

to the Manage Domains section of the admin panel. Only then will you be

able to edit the DNS records.

To add a plan, go to Billing -> Manage Account in the admin panel and

click the "add a plan" link near the bottom of the first box. Please let

me know if you have any additional questions or need anything else.

Am I wrong in thinking that DNS records are the sum total of domain registration??? Where the hell did hosting enter into this? What if I had my own webserver?

*sighs* I wrote them back... probably should have taken a breather before doing so, but oh well.

Thanks for your help Aardwolf, much appreciated.

http://blog.dreamhosters.com/kbase/index.cgi?area=2031 any help???

Note - you can still ask support to add a custom entry for you, even if you don't have access to the custom DNS tab.

Sounds like you just have to ask cst services to do it for you - unless I'm reading it wrong and just incase:

Can I change registrars after registering a domain name?

Yes, you may change the registrar sponsoring your domain name (60 days after intial registration.) For details on the transfer process, contact the registrar you would like to assume sponsorship of the registration.

Can I change registrars after registering a domain name?

Yes, you may change the registrar sponsoring your domain name (60 days after intial registration.) For details on the transfer process, contact the registrar you would like to assume sponsorship of the registration.

This is my next move, screw asking cust svc to add entries for me.

*Edit*

And I am sure my sarcasm is not helping in my emails w/ DH tech support, but I can not help it. I am probably giving some poor bastard a very shitty day.

I think ForsetiAvatar just order the Domain Registration from them...

I suppose from a business POV it makes sence not to give you access to the DNS tab since changes to your registered IP as must cost them to proporgate through the DNS servers (everything always costs someone something). So they probably ask you to contact cst services to keep it to a minimum. Also they would probably get screwed over by someone changing their registered IP every day.

You get access if there hosting for you because well what IP are you going to change too... their your host.

Just a thought if it makes sence lol

Just the domain itself. IMHO, if I purchase exampledomain.com I should be able to point that domain anywhere I want, to say IP 66.81.153.87 (random ip). To me, that is the function of a registrar, to associate exampledomain.com w/ an IP addy. NOT to say 'ok you are the proud owner of exampledomain.com, now buy a hosting package' This is the first time I have run across a registrar that does not give you control of the DNS entries for the domain you purchased.

To give an example. Say I owned a business and I get Cox business internet service. That comes w/ a static IP. That static ip is say 68.91.65.125. This company has their own web server, email server, etc. Now if I go out and purchase Myownbusiness.com, w/ the purchase of that domain alone I should be able to point myownbusiness.com to IP 68.91.65.125. What good would a hosting package do me in such a situation?

I suppose from a business POV it makes sence not to give you access to the DNS tab since changes to your registered IP as must cost them to proporgate through the DNS servers (everything always costs someone something). So they probably ask you to contact cst services to keep it to a minimum. Also they would probably get screwed over by someone changing their registered IP every day.

I see what you are saying. It is just that I was not expecting it. I have been using NSI for a while when I did jobs for other people, and w/ them I can do what I explained in the example in previous post. I do not even plan on doing anything w/ the domain now. I got it just because. It just irked me when I was looking through the config screens that I couldn't do that.

This is the first time I have run across a registrar that does not give you control of the DNS entries for the domain you purchased.

Sorry I never knew since I've never registered one before. :oops:

Sounds like Dreamhost just need to change the way they give people access. You can see the DNS tab but you can't select it :(

Weird, I would never have thought to register a domain through a hosting company. I mean, technically they're a registrar since you can get a domain with your hosting purchase. I didnt even know until now that you could get just DNS from them.

So DreamHost is a great host but not so much as a domain registrar.

Funny thing is, godaddy is a cheaper registrar and they're like freaking amazing when it comes to management. maybe you can transfer

So DreamHost is a great host but not so much as a domain registrar.

Funny thing is, godaddy is a cheaper registrar and they're like freaking amazing when it comes to management. maybe you can transfer

Yeah. I am going to transfer it to NSI. I have heard of problems w/ godaddy not releasing domains in a timely fashion. NSI isexpensive for single year registrations, but it actually works out better for 3+ years.