Netbook

th3bigguy

Looking to buy a netbook. (My wife has taken over my XPS1330). Any suggestions. I have looked at the Asus, Acer, and Dell. So far I like the Acer keyboard the best but I wasn't sure if anyone has any suggestions. I really don't want to spend over $500 and I am hoping to run windows and linux (backtrack, helix). I am open to any suggestions. thanks in advance.

Have a look at the Samsung NC10 (that's the model that I'll be getting in the next month or so).

it's got 1Gb RAM, the same processor as the Acer, a 160Gb drive, bluetooth built-in, and it's got a 6-cell battery for much longer battery life.

The keyboard (IMHO) is better than the Acer, I do a lot of typing and it seems to feel really good under the fingers.

The only real downside I've found so far is that the track pad is a little small.

Keep in mind though that I don't own one yet, these are just my impressions from the ones that I've tried out in stores.

Totally depends on what you want from your PC.

I went for EEEPC 701 since it meets my requrements totally and it like cheapest thing on markets.

As far as I know all companys have basicly same computers, so it just comes down to looks.

How does the mouse work on the samsung. It looks like one mouse button or does it depend on where you click on the mouse. Let me know. I liked the eeePC but I do not like how the keyboard is layed out. it would of been better if they would of positioned the shift and arrow keys better. anyone have any ideas. this is going to be used for basic computing with some other ideas in mind, hence having a web cam, wifi, and being able to run multi operating systems.

The mouse 'button' on the Samsung sort of rocks (I mean that literally :D). Press the left end and you get a left mouse click, I'll let you guess what happens if you press the right end :D

BTW: can i make my own battery pack???

Sure, just don't plug it into anything

Just off the top of my head doesn't Asus sell spare battries? Couldn't you just buy one rather than electrocuting your self?

Sure, just don't plug it into anything

Just off the top of my head doesn't Asus sell spare battries? Couldn't you just buy one rather than electrocuting your self?

Yeah, but the official batteries are of the same low capacity, I'm looking at online shops, but not the kind of guy that sells his things online... I rather drive to a shop and buy it there...

Atleast I have seen battiers in my local computer store what claim to support both 700 and 900 models... I guess they also have longer live considering they are also for 900 series and their basic battery lasts alot longer than 700 series one.

You know why buy spare battery that has lower capacity than your original

Atleast I have seen battiers in my local computer store what claim to support both 700 and 900 models... I guess they also have longer live considering they are also for 900 series and their basic battery lasts alot longer than 700 series one.

You know why buy spare battery that has lower capacity than your original

Indeed ;)

I own a EeePc 701 4G to, and i just got a 1024 M-amp battery pack from a online store, and must say its the a good buy.

Even with all the hardware hacks/addons (touchSreen, internal 16Gig SD card, bluetooth, GPS) in my EeePc 701 i can use the EeePc with this bigger Battery pack for just over 4 hours.

Gerard

I own a EeePc 701 4G to, and i just got a 1024 M-amp battery pack from a online store, and must say its the a good buy.

Even with all the hardware hacks/addons (touchSreen, internal 16Gig SD card, bluetooth, GPS) in my EeePc 701 i can use the EeePc with this bigger Battery pack for just over 4 hours.

Gerard

Which online store was it?

I have a Dell mini9 and a HP 2133. The HP2133 is a very nice bit of kit, and i bought it mainly because of the design (ex-art student here), it is however a bit slow especially since i shoehorned Vista onto it. The Dell Mini9 is very nice, my GF really likes it. However the keyboard layout can best be described as "inventive" and its not the best device if your going to be doing a lot of typing. No moving parts so its very quiet.