Creating my own personal Linux distribution for Penetration Testing and White-Hat Hacking

USBHacker

Sue linux :blink:

???

And yes, I have been using OpenSuSE. I learnt linux on OpenSuSE.

Why would I want to do that?

So here are some of my suggestions:

1. Every tool that you include, check it's license as you will be distributing it.
  2. Compatibility is key. If it doesn't work on peoples hardware, they can't get to the awesome tools
  3. Decide if you are doing a LiveCD, a USB, a VM, a installable distro, or all of the above.
  4. Get help. A project this size isn't something that is easily accomplished alone
  5. As for a list of tools used, just look around some of the security forums and see what tools are being asked about their usage. Another place to look is the tools released at security conferences.

If this is going to just be a learning experience, then may I suggest jumping into Gentoo.

Good luck.

Thanks for your reply.

Ah... about the security forums that you mentioned, I've so far only tried this one and defcon.

Can you please recommend some/any others?

Thanks in advance,

Panarchy

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay...

BTW: What's 'free Manuel?' is it something like the 'free Kevin' thing, or am I overthinking your sig?

So in west Philly, born and raised, there was this kid on the playgroung... where he spent most of his days, he would go there to hang out and relax, maybe shoot some hoops. Then came these dudes who wanted trouble. He got in a fight and his mum sent him to live with his aunt in Bel Air.. we are trying to get him to move back.

So in west Philly, born and raised, there was this kid on the playgroung... where he spent most of his days, he would go there to hang out and relax, maybe shoot some hoops. Then came these dudes who wanted trouble. He got in a fight and his mum sent him to live with his aunt in Bel Air.. we are trying to get him to move back.

Digle, pretty close the right lyrics, but still failing on rhyming

Fresh prince of Bel-Air? (or whatever!)

Okay, so anyways... let's get back on topic.

I most of the day today working on my distribution, and have ended up starting all over again, building on Ubuntu 8.10 (Intrepid Ibex).

I have gotten it virtually up to where I was before, when I had built it on a 1.2GB version of Ubuntu (Super Ubuntu).

I have removed a lot of unnecessary packages to free up space (Things like GIMP, documentation & OpenOffice).

When I wake up tomorrow I will start adding tools suggested to me on this forum, on the other forum & from mailing lists.

Thanks for all help given so far,

USBHacker

PS: I have gotten an email complain over use of the name 'HackBuntu' from JMG over at milw0rm, saying that they've been using the name for there own distribution for years!

So I will need a new name ASAP. Thanks in advance for suggestions!

Tbh, "hackbuntu" sounds kind a blunt first time I actually miss read "hackabuntu" and (maybe it's just me, but...) I liked it :P

Altough one letter can (and in this case will) cause confusion.

DO NOT USE UBUTNTU, you are going to grab dependencies that you do not need. Start with Debian, no gui > install a windows manager > remove components > add software > rebuild kernel > start testing and removing other shit. Just using application manager isnt enough. I personal use Mint, a ubuntu spin off, but IMO slax is better for this kind of thing.

EDIT

Im hung over so if this doenst make sense im sorry

DO NOT USE UBUTNTU, you are going to grab dependencies that you do not need. Start with Debian, no gui > install a windows manager > remove components > add software > rebuild kernel > start testing and removing other shit. Just using application manager isnt enough. I personal use Mint, a ubuntu spin off, but IMO slax is better for this kind of thing.

EDIT

Im hung over so if this doenst make sense im sorry

I understand what you're saying.

Those dependencies are killing me...

Spent some of today on it, added around half the programs I need, and am already on 2.2GB.

(Without squashfs, just right click->properties)

So, maybe your right and I should start without a window manager.

Thanks

Panarchy

You might not want to read this but I think a good way to go about this would be to use a small but powerful distro like DSL I have yet to have any issues with it. With the small footprint (about 50MB) you don't have to worry much about all the extra garbage to take out. Just look for the things you want to include and customize it. That's what I'm doin. And since DSL is a Debian based project you shouldn't have too many issues findin somethin to go on it.

PM me and we can compare notes.

^Don't know if I'm understanding your right... that's helpful for things like supercomputers... right?

You might not want to read this but I think a good way to go about this would be to use a small but powerful distro like DSL I have yet to have any issues with it. With the small footprint (about 50MB) you don't have to worry much about all the extra garbage to take out. Just look for the things you want to include and customize it. That's what I'm doin. And since DSL is a Debian based project you shouldn't have too many issues findin somethin to go on it.

PM me and we can compare notes.

Thanks, nice idea...

However, one of the main reasons I'm doing this is for GNOME... so, yeah...

But thanks for the offer!

I just got back from the bookstore (BaM) and figured I should pass on some information. I was just looking around trying to find a hard to find mag when I stumbled across a magazine from the UK that may be able to help you. It's called

Linux Format it's the Christmas 2008 issue (number113). In it there is a section on building your own distribution. Here in Alabama,US it costs $16.99 which IMO is a fair price if there is any helpful information in it. It also had a CD with about 4GB (I think) of stuff in it.

If you don't mind let me know if you find it and if it's useful. Unfortunately I wasn't able to get it today I ran out of money with the other stuff I bought lol.

Hello

Thanks to all who gave me advice for helping me along the way.

Now's the time for my first public release, version 0.9, of my distribution.

For more information, see this (temporary) blog I made: http://panarchy.wordpress.com/

I'll be very happy to receive feedback on my distribution. (either on this forum &/or on my blog)

Thanks, and I hope you enjoy my distribution!

Chip D. Panarchy

ls;

Sorry, but I have terrible upload speeds... if anyone else would like to torrent it, go right ahead. But I will be unable to torrent it. If there is a faster free online hosting than adrive that supports up to 4.7GB, please tell me of it. (I think adrive only supports up to 2GB)

So... what'd you think of my distribution so far?

You can [probably] see that there is a lot missing, and a lot that needs to be changed... so if there is anything not mentioned on my blog: http://panarchy.wordpress.com/ ... Then please tell me of it!

Thanks in advance,

USBHacker

• 4 weeks later...
http://backtrack.offensive-security.com/index.php/Tools is a list of every tool used in backtrack.