usb cable from a kyocera data cable - anyone made one

Is there a sticker on the bottom of the cable, where the usb port is, Maybe a part number is there? Other than that you may have to take a razor to it :/. Is there a tool that one can use to id usb chips? Or is it possible to attach a led to it and transmit a signal and have the led light up? I dont know much about serial as you can tell.

The number on the bottom is wt048000317. Googling it shows the chipset is probably ark3116. I don't know how this helps though as they could have used any random bits of wire of any colour.

I need, as you suggest, some way to check the voltage on the wires to see which ones do what. I've got a multimeter but without knowing what to look for and how to get data flowing then I'm stuck.

I've been given a slightly simpler idea by Larry from PDC. Find out the layout of the 3.5mm jack on the end then chop the cable and work out which wires go to the parts I need.

Simple when you think about it!

I'm currently trying to find the spec for the 3.5mm jack plug. Problem is, all google searches come up with people selling cables not specs on how they are made.

Once I find the spec I'll post it along with any photos/info.

If anyone knows the spec please share it, the cable is for KX433, KX434, K10, KX440, KX444, K490, KE433, KE434, K9, K404, K493, and K494 phones

It is probably this, both kyocera, both 3.5mm jacks but the model numbers don't match.

http://pinouts.ru/CellularPhones-A-N/kyoce...de_pinout.shtml

Reading the link you sent, if I get the right two wires and connect them then I should be able to connect them and get characters echo'd back to me.

It is probably this, both kyocera, both 3.5mm jacks but the model numbers don't match.

http://pinouts.ru/CellularPhones-A-N/kyoce...de_pinout.shtml

Reading the link you sent, if I get the right two wires and connect them then I should be able to connect them and get characters echo'd back to me.

Or use a small head phone speaker and listen for a sound lol. I tried looking for pinouts and I couldnt find one. Ill keep looking though.

Got the cable built and I can see output but I can't send anything.

The cable is working because if I short the two wires I get an echo of my input.

I've also tried ssh'ing to the fon and doing

echo hello  > /dev/ttyS0

the hello appears in the terminal window.

I've got photos of each step so as soon as I get this last bit sorted I'll put a howto together.

Seems the guide I was following neglected to mention that I also needed to connect ground. I used my only plug and I trimmed all the wires down so there is no way I can reuse it to add the extra pin.

Looks like I'm shopping/scrounging tomorrow.

Managed to grab some connectors and got it working. Just had serial connections to both my fon and fon+.

Got photos so I'll try to get a write up done and will post a link.

I may be doing something wrong but I reckon it isn't quite as easy as the sites I've read make out to get it working.