Project Idea: HakHouseRover

PrimeRig

I'm sure I'm not the only one who has seen the web-enabled USB missile launcher with queuing and had this idea...

NASA's got one, perhaps it's time for Hak5 to join the club.

I ran across this page describing in great detail how an RC truck chassis, webcam, and DD-WRT Linksys (with dual serial port mod) can make a web-enabled mobile A/V platform.

http://www.jbprojects.net/projects/wifirobot/

I've slapped together a few quick and dirty renders of what I thought a Hak5 version might look like... enjoy.

HAKHOUSEROVER3.png

Now with driver and gunner.

HAKHOUSEROVER.png

HAKHOUSEROVER2.png

HAKHOUSEROVER4.png

And, of course, optional hardpoints could be included so the Rover serves a greater purpose than just firing foam missiles.

HAKHOUSEROVERWITHBEERHOLDER.png

HAKHOUSEROVERParts-1.jpg

The possibilities are really endless -some with greater potential than others- could also be used as a mobile platform for the weaponized pineapple (let loose in a mall), a dedicated in house beer courier, mobile camera mount, protege for Evil Server, etc...

ya i saw that project too!!! I was thinking of building my own but time and money are short so maybe someday...It looks great. Plus the project wouldn't even cost that much.

I almost feel bad for that cat......well actually not, it will be enjoyable to watch!!

Ok, granted we're getting a little into John Connor fantasy land - but that's the point of a concept, right?

Version 2.0:

• RC tank chassis used as based - probably easier to control two treads either going forward or reverse

Much larger battery

Ability to self charge via dock

Greatly increased range of motion

Twin USB launchers with independent control

Ustream chat display

Fonera router with USB - I know the HakHouse has a bunch of these laying around

3 fixed position webcams for driving "awareness"

Possible need for an ITX based linux system due to greatly added hardware complexity

HakTank3mod.jpg

HakTank2mod.jpg

HakTank5mod.jpg

HakTankprofilemod.jpg

HakTankclosemod.jpg

-- -- -- -- --

HakTank4.png

HakTank7.png

HakTank3.png

HakTank6.png

Note: nothing is necessarily to scale - just kind of shoot from the hip brainstorming.

What program did you use do create these pics? Adobe photo shop??

Haha...

Try paint..

Fonera router with USB - I know the HakHouse has a bunch of these laying around

Possible need for an ITX based linux system due to greatly added hardware complexity

no need for ITX based linux system...

La Fonera 2.0 is running linux and you can compile any C source for it ...there are over 3000 plugins for it available

operate your webcams; it should be able to handle your turrents & driving if you have the proper drivers for it :-)

no need for ITX based linux system...

La Fonera 2.0 is running linux and you can compile any C source for it ...there are over 3000 plugins for it available

operate your webcams; it should be able to handle your turrents & driving if you have the proper drivers for it :-)

I don't think software would be limiting factor - (nor do I know the processing overhead for any given webcam) - but I'd be seriously surprised if a Fon 2.0 could handle all of the following simultaneously...

1. The video feed from 5 webcams (3 stationary + 2 attached to each launcher [not pictured] as per the current HakHouse turret)

At least one audio feed from one of the webcam mics

Fwd/Rvs independent motor control for the two treads (ideally with incremental control, e.g. click forward once on the WebGUI and travel forward 6 inches in physical reality)

Servo or stepper control for the main turret

IRC client

Display of IRC output to VFD

Battery status monitor (perhaps overlaid on one of the webcam feeds and/or VFD)

Then again, perhaps it's just a question of bandwidth. I'd be curious to see how much processing a Fon 2.0 could handle.

just forwarding video/audio is nothing

but there is no Floating Point Unit present to do any complex actions on this traffic

using unused "gpio" on the pcb of La Fonera Classic and a "network" enabled webcam there have been allready many "mobile" foneras controlled via pocketpc or playstation portable (wifi)

so the usb version would make it easier to add usb controlled turrets; webcams; ...

The control interface would have to lease on a first come first served basis with a timeout, or else you get 20 people trying to go 20 different ways.

The existing HakHouse missile system already employs a Java based queuing system - http://www.hakhouse.com/missile/ - I wouldn't think it would be too hard to scale that code to something larger with more inputs.

Hmm... A nice project idea, but I see too many problems to realize it in a way that makes sense. :(

But if I get my hands on a RC, I will try building one on my own.... ^^

Please do elaborate on your foreseen problems. That's part of the fun of doing this.