Wanted!

hillmiester

You use assembly:

- When size matters a lot

- When speed matters a lot

- While making certain device drivers (not so true anymore)

- For bootloaders

- When school says you're supposed to use ASM. :roll:

For the original XBox you needed the SDK which was hard to come by (i.e. pay Microsoft a lot of money, or get a ripped release which was at the time hard to find). When you had it you could just develop in MSVC++. Only problem was that the resulting app only ran on chipped XBoxes. To get it to run everywhere you needed to get Microsoft to sign your executable, which again costs a LOT of money.

Only problem was that the resulting app only ran on chipped XBoxes. To get it to run everywhere you needed to get Microsoft to sign your executable, which again costs a LOT of money.

*cough* softmods *cough* - no seriously I have a cough/cold - in the summer! - LMAO

Oh and you can add Bios code to the Assembler list and pritty much every device no OS exists for no?

Edit Oh and the Xbox softwareis written in C me thinks

Oh and you can add Bios code to the Assembler list and pritty much every device no OS exists for no?

Not a clue what you're saying here...

lol. I believe its something to do with firmware on DVDs etc. Not too sure as Im not really interested in this project, just he a mate and asked if I knew anyone who could code and understand assembler. I thought if anyone could code assembler and understand it they could be a hak5 fan :P.

Why would he have to write it in ASM? Is this some kind of project for school that requires him to write it in pure Assembly?

Here's a good site for information and help on ASM:

http://www.grc.com/smgassembly.htm

If he wants to learn ASM tell him to get a debugger and disassembler such as IDA Pro, and run it on some native Win32 applications and follow some guides from my link on how to write applications in it.