Shmoocon Secure Connection

Deathdefyer2002

This will be my first time attending shmoocon and I am kinda nervous going online while I'm there. I have been thinking about several different ways to secure my connection to keep prying eyes out, even if its over an unsecured network.

My ideas were:

Use a VPN to tunnel all of your traffic to a PC back home

Use a SSH tunnel to tunnel all of your traffic back home

What do you guys usually do when your at a security conference to ensure that while you are online, it is secure?

This will be my first time attending shmoocon and I am kinda nervous going online while I'm there. I have been thinking about several different ways to secure my connection to keep prying eyes out, even if its over an unsecured network.

My ideas were:

Use a VPN to tunnel all of your traffic to a PC back home

Use a SSH tunnel to tunnel all of your traffic back home

What do you guys usually do when your at a security conference to ensure that while you are online, it is secure?

Last year Shmoocon set up a nice secure network for the Con. I forget the details but I believe it was a Radius system with certificates. A lot of people were saying it was one the best Con networks they'd used.

There is wifi at the hotel but you have to pay for it and it isn't cheap or secure. Everyone knows that you don't fsck with the Con network and you're pretty safe on it. However the hotel's wifi well that gets treated differently.

If you have to check you're company email then you'd better be tunneled through a VPN or at the bare minimum being using the https:// webmail interface. It's 3 days do your REALLY have to check it?

If you're planning on blogging, chatting then use the Con network. If you're just surfing the web, hell pay to use the hotel network. Or do as we did and Pwn the kiosks :). I'll unlock them all this year!

Me I have a VPN at home that I tunnel all my traffic through.