WIFI Autoconfiguration CD

jmaxxz

I am sure many of you like myself have very long WPA keys. Hooking up other people with access to your wireless network can be a bit of a hassle.

Or how about when you get enlisted by your non-techy friends to set up a secure wireless network? This is a slight problem because after you set that 63char key and putting in a text file for them with a readme explaining how they would go about setting up a new computer to access the network can be a bit difficult. And then you get the call 4 weeks later because they can not figure out how to type out that password. (yeah they seem to not know about copy and paste)

There has to be a more friendly way to do this right? Yes there is, but in windows out of the box you can only do it with flash drives and it is all a bit tricky. You don't want to have a flash drive with your key sitting around, and locking up a flash drive that is only 0.00001% used up just seems like a waste.

So for the Vista users out there I have whipped together a couple windows batch scripts and an autorun.inf file to make your life easy. The batch scripts use the fun that is

netsh wlan

1. Download the zip
  2. Extract the files
  3. run wireless_export
  4. type the name of the wireless network configuration you are exporting
  5. burn all files to disc
  6. ta-da now you have a cd that will auto configure a vista machine for a WIFI network on insertion

you can get the zip from my site: here