Evil Server Logo Contest

Darren Kitchen

Calling all pixel ninjas. Ever wish you could submit an Evil Server logo or action graphic to us and win cool Hak5 swag? Now you can, with our spiffy new Evil Server Logo (or action graphic) Contest! Clever, hu? From now until Monday, December 15th we'll be accepting submissions for this totally bad-ass contest -- winner(s) of which will be judged based on style and evilness. The winning graphic(s) will become part of the new Hak5 sticker collection (and possibly other cool stuff). Read more for details.

Art Requirements

• No more than four color (no gradients)
  • Square (1:1) or rectangle (Between 1.25:1 and 1.5:1) aspect ratio.
  • Vector art preferred otherwise 4500px (longest dimension) or higher resolution raster.
  • Depict Evil Server in some form (crushing cities, burning networks, what have you).

Not required

• Hak5 Logo (Unless in some abstract or artistic form it's not necessary. There are plenty of Hak5 stickers already)
  • Evil Server Slogan (Cool, but not necessary).

Reference Images

A whole slew of pictures of Evil Server can be found at http://www.hak5.org/evilserver/

How to submit artwork

Artwork must be submitted to either the Community Images Board of the Hak5 forums under the Evil Server Art Contest section or emailed to darren@hak5.org.

Accepted Formats

PNG, JPG, PSD, AI, EPS, PDF, SVG

Prizes

In addition to receiving your graphic printed (as sticker, t-shirt or otherwise) you will be the happy new owner of a Hak5 swag pack including Hak5 stickers, shot glasses, buttons, autographed cast photo, Hak5 T-shirt, and a crayon drawing of a Evil Server riding a Llama.

This is awesome! :) How many Evil Server logo or action graphics are we allowed to enter before Dec 8th? Also what graphic format would you prefer or it doesn't matter? Vector or Raster graphics? Vector is preferred for logos but am just curious.

This is awesome! :) How many Evil Server logo or action graphics are we allowed to enter before Dec 8th? Also what graphic format would you prefer or it doesn't matter? Vector or Raster graphics? Vector is preferred for logos but am just curious.

Sorry I should have made that more clear. I've tweaked the specifications:

[*] Square (1:1) or rectangle (Between 1.25:1 and 1.5:1) aspect ratio.

[*] Vector art preferred otherwise 4500px (longest dimension) or higher resolution raster.

Promise the requirements won't change again.

As far as how many, feel free to submit as many designs as you'd like. No limit.

If it helps anyone, here's an Evil Server vector I made really fast in Illustrator. Feel free to use it in your designs or whatever, I don't really care if you attribute it to me or anything. I don't think I'll have time to come up with anything cool, but good luck to everyone else.

The link is: http://www.www.tylerm.info/evil_server.zip

You can replace the .zip with one of: .ai, .svg, .eps if you just want that file. (The extra www is intentional, but not critical.)

Edit[0]: Oh, also, it just so happens to be 3 colors already: Black, White, and Red. So you still have one extra color to do whatever you want with.

Edit[1]: A LLAMA DRAWING?! HELL YEAH I'M GOING TO PARTICIPATE THEN! (Not sarcasm. Llamas are awesome.)

seems that even 4 colors is not enough for pedobear.

:(

I would have to disagree.

http://www.www.tylerm.info/pedobear.zip should work for you.

You might have to change some colors to make it work with Evil Server, though. If you changed his mouth to a darker red to match Evil Server's, made his ear highlights + claws white, and his nose the normal brown, I think that would be 4 colors, right? (Brown, 2x White, 2x True Black, 2x Red)

You live in my area. I wonder if I've ever met you...

@Tyler, thanks for posting your source files! I've added them to the resources folder.

I figured I'd post an example. Took about 2 hours in photoshop. I think it embodies Evil Server -- at least, the one that haunts my dreams. I wish there were a way to work a 5.25" disk in there somewhere without cluttering it up.

es_retro-fire-pirate.jpg

four colors counting white

edit: just noticed i've got a few little mistakes in there. namely the darker shadow red in the triangle feet. that color was the last to be added and come to think of it i should have used it to shade the power and reset buttons.

BURNINATOR.png

http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/332413/BURNINATOR.svg

thers my svg if anyone wanted to take this concept further...

here is the concept although im no good with vectors without my graphic pen... maybe ill redo it when i get home from work with the pen. And i know im using more then four colors on the bottom area it was just too time consuming while im at work to be recoloring the whole thing. Oh yeah an im using inkscape becuase I dont have illustrator on my work comp.

i was going for the war of the worlds meets trogdor concept...

4 colors are grey, charcoal, black and red. Original file is a PSD in CMYK and looks best against a black background(intended for Black T-shirt or Charcoal Hoody, charcoal being the color of the case, not the grey twirls. The case is outlined in black, so it gives it a sort of cartooned outline look against other colored backgrounds)

hak5_Evil_Sticker_1-DigiPReference.png

(Just a reference PNG file)

PSD in Rar file: http://www.twistedpairrecords.com/digip/Ev...erver_DigiP.rar

4 meg CMYK Jpeg Tshirt Square (4500x4500): http://www.twistedpairrecords.com/digip/ha...ker_1-DigiP.jpg This one looks better than the image above, just too large to have loading in the thread. I would have posted the better one to the contest wallpaper area, but it seems its too big and timesout when I try to upload it there.

god from them pic's darren it's easy to see that evil server has taken a pounding over the last few years, all battered an discoloration maybe time to upgrade him or atleast drive a stake through his processor in the middle of the night an start again.

god from them pic's darren it's easy to see that evil server has taken a pounding over the last few years, all battered an discoloration maybe time to upgrade him or atleast drive a stake through his processor in the middle of the night an start again.

You do realize evil server reads these forum posts. Be sure to sleep with a gun under your pillow tonight...

I think Evil Server has lost a few battles over the years.

BTW - maybe this was covered in an early episode - but what is that HAL 9000 orb modded into his case? Where did it come from? I've never seen one quite that substantial.

Here it goes. png and ZIP file containing .ai.

hack5v2nt4.png

Zipped .ai file

Also, first post.

Edit 12/05/08:

Fixed some mistakes in the .ai file (wasn't square, bottom left building wasn't colored or lined properly. Also, I think the zip file may have been broken in windows). :lol:

EDIT 12/05/08 2:

Okay, I don't think I am going to mess with it anymore, I read that if these were ever printed on a shirt it would be black so I got rid of the circle. I also aligned the logo right so there wasn't all the weird negative space, or whatver they call it.

post-12016-1228445748_thumb.png