How ofter are your computers up?

Duelus

My main rig goes off at night because there's nothing for it to do - I have a server box that does any nightly downloads or whatever, and that's on in my cupboard 24/7 (I turn it off once a month to clean out the dust filters etc and give it chance to reboot). I have a Gentoo Linux Firewall box running downstairs that's also on 24/7 (same though, once a month off to clean it out).

Any other computers are only on when they are needed.

All 5 of my computers are on 24/7 don't realy know why though, well... one is my web server... one is my desktop... one is my windows server (whcih i am atempting to remove)... one is my PVR... and the other which is my old desktop whcih i don't actualy need on... it's just sitting there making all my old information avalable to me...

All my servers and routers stay on 24/7, my desktop is on if i am using it (i try to turn it off if i'm not going to use it for a while). My laptop hardly ever gets turned because it is pretty much useless.

my 3 pcs only stay 15 hours on because they are in my bedroom and i have to sleep!!

You know, I'm the direct opposite. I can't sleep unless I have atleast one of my desktops on. I need the hum of the fans to sleep.

When I was still living with my parents I had 3 machine running in my bedroom 24x7 and the humming was a bit annoying so I also always had the radio on. Not louder than the hum, but just something to clear out the monotony.

Now I've got my own place, with a special room for the systems and my bedroom's dead quiet.

All my systems are on 24x7 because they're either doing stuff, or I don't want to have to wait for them to boot up before I can use them when I want to.

My G4 Laptop is now running all the time so i can VNC into it if i need to use non-universal programs like Apple Works 6. My macbook i turn off at night since the G4 also handles any downloading i need to do.

It's an interesting setup i have actualy. I use my G4 to download torrents/iptv. I then use VNC to unRAR on the G4 if i need to. Then i mount the G4 harddrive and move the files over to my Macbook. Last i go back to VNC and delete the files off that machine. My 2 babies play very well together :).

I will also soon be adding a macmini as a media center that will use VNC on my palm T|X as a remote control. I love me some VNC.

my 3 pcs only stay 15 hours on because they are in my bedroom and i have to sleep!!

You know, I'm the direct opposite. I can't sleep unless I have atleast one of my desktops on. I need the hum of the fans to sleep.

When I was still living with my parents I had 3 machine running in my bedroom 24x7 and the humming was a bit annoying so I also always had the radio on. Not louder than the hum, but just something to clear out the monotony.

Now I've got my own place, with a special room for the systems and my bedroom's dead quiet.

All my systems are on 24x7 because they're either doing stuff, or I don't want to have to wait for them to boot up before I can use them when I want to.

if it depends only on me i would let them on but the big problem its my litle brother.... :evil: he says that he cannot sleep well with the noise and that he needs all to be quiet... :(

My 6 desktops/workstations are on 24/7 unless it gets really hot in the room during the summer, then i turn some of them off. My 2 laptops are usually off unless im using them, and my server and router are always on with a UPS Battery attached.

My Apple Powerbook (old) stays up quite a bit, usually beacuse I forget to turn it off. My thinkpad stays on from when work starts until work ends. Which, lately, has been 8am - 8pm.

My Main desktop machine is on 24/7 except when I'm on holidays I'm getting a server sometime in the next week which will be on 24/7 but same deal with the holidays thing My laptop has never been on 24/7 because of heat issues