EEE PC Confusion

hardhittertennis

Ok so as Christmas is approaching im looking for a eee pc, or any netbook really, but ive been undecided about which one because it is mainly going to be used for backtrack. Now ive seen from some places on this site and others that it has an atheros based wifi card. But others have said its not and theres just a bunch of information floating around. I just want a solid netbook for pentesting that has good support on these forums and the eee seems to have the best support which is why im leaning towards it.

So the questions are, im looking for either a 9 or 10 eee which one(s) have atheros and the good battery. which if any model has that?

If not, im looking at the 901, so what would be the best atheros card to buy to stick in there and have injections in bt3?

Ok so as Christmas is approaching im looking for a eee pc, or any netbook really, but ive been undecided about which one because it is mainly going to be used for backtrack. Now ive seen from some places on this site and others that it has an atheros based wifi card. But others have said its not and theres just a bunch of information floating around. I just want a solid netbook for pentesting that has good support on these forums and the eee seems to have the best support which is why im leaning towards it.

So the questions are, im looking for either a 9 or 10 eee which one(s) have atheros and the good battery. which if any model has that?

If not, im looking at the 901, so what would be the best atheros card to buy to stick in there and have injections in bt3?

I've the 901 which I bought one of these for:

http://www.oxfordtec.com/uk/MiniPCI-EXPRES...oduct_info.html

Works great

Maybe check some of the documentation for the tools you want to use.. im sure they will have a hardware list... and there is no support on the forums, people just now started asking questions about them, with out consulting google first.. Not all of them come with the same cards, its either luck of the draw or actually doing research that will get you the right one the first time.

And you can read what cards come in them in the product description, seriously...does anyone read anymore or is that a fad of yesteryear?

And when did the Eee become the "l33735t" pentesting device on the market? I can do more task, faster with my 15" dell then i ever could on a tiny mid grade laptop. Do not get me wrong, I would love one for surfing the INTERNET on the couch or taking to class, but if you really want to get some pentesting work done get a machine that can handle it with the fewest amount of hiccups. I guess the "cool" factor comes into play alot, but I will stick to my dual cores over a solo atom any day.

NOTE I AM NOT BASHING THE EEE IN ANYWAY, I JUST THINK THAT CONSULTING THE BACKTRACK FORUMS, OR READING DOCUMENTATION IS A MUCH EASIER WAY OF LEARNING.

Ok, well ive been searching fourms, the asus website and reviews and the only reason i posted was because i have received mixed information on a few things and just wanted to check with some people. Now onto why people like them, i dont think your dell will get close to 8 hours of battery life, which is very useful in a pentest when you would rather be mobile than having to plug in to charge up your battery. But i agree that more powerful is still nice, i just find it would be a nice little machine to dual boot bt3 and xp on.

And SWFu, thanks for the help, that card looks pretty nice. Is the install on the 901 pretty painless?

Maybe check some of the documentation for the tools you want to use.. im sure they will have a hardware list... and there is no support on the forums, people just now started asking questions about them, with out consulting google first.. Not all of them come with the same cards, its either luck of the draw or actually doing research that will get you the right one the first time.

And you can read what cards come in them in the product description, seriously...does anyone read anymore or is that a fad of yesteryear?

And when did the Eee become the "l33735t" pentesting device on the market? I can do more task, faster with my 15" dell then i ever could on a tiny mid grade laptop. Do not get me wrong, I would love one for surfing the INTERNET on the couch or taking to class, but if you really want to get some pentesting work done get a machine that can handle it with the fewest amount of hiccups. I guess the "cool" factor comes into play alot, but I will stick to my dual cores over a solo atom any day.

NOTE I AM NOT BASHING THE EEE IN ANYWAY, I JUST THINK THAT CONSULTING THE BACKTRACK FORUMS, OR READING DOCUMENTATION IS A MUCH EASIER WAY OF LEARNING.

yeah im gonna have to agree with you. it seems as though the EEE + backtrack is the must have gadget on the top of every skiddies wish list this season.

Ok, well ive been searching fourms, the asus website and reviews and the only reason i posted was because i have received mixed information on a few things and just wanted to check with some people. Now onto why people like them, i dont think your dell will get close to 8 hours of battery life, which is very useful in a pentest when you would rather be mobile than having to plug in to charge up your battery. But i agree that more powerful is still nice, i just find it would be a nice little machine to dual boot bt3 and xp on.

And SWFu, thanks for the help, that card looks pretty nice. Is the install on the 901 pretty painless?

It's very easy to install.