Unlocker for Vista?

RandomClown

Hak 5 showed a program for XP that unlocks files in use & allows delete.

Before I break my fist on my table, does anyone know of one that works for Vista?

Half of the time I have folders [empty or not] that are NOT in friggin' use, but Vista keeps saying it IS.

[no, restart does not help]

How I delete them is I go to the directory & make a batch file with:

rmdir /s /q "Stupid Folder\"

del del.bat

then run it. This is every time I have a locked folder.

Vista seems to "Use" a directory [probably probing] most the time I click a folder.

Then when I hit delete, it wont work.

I ask here instead of google because I cannot trust the sources out there when downloading random programs.

Thanks for reading.

Hak 5 showed a program for XP that unlocks files in use & allows delete.

Before I break my fist on my table, does anyone know of one that works for Vista?

Half of the time I have folders [empty or not] that are NOT in friggin' use, but Vista keeps saying it IS.

[no, restart does not help]

How I delete them is I go to the directory & make a batch file with:

rmdir /s /q "Stupid Folder\"

del del.bat

then run it. This is every time I have a locked folder.

Vista seems to "Use" a directory [probably probing] most the time I click a folder.

Then when I hit delete, it wont work.

I ask here instead of google because I cannot trust the sources out there when downloading random programs.

Thanks for reading.

theres a program called unlocker for both vista and xp and it works fine on both...

I'm on a vista machine right now [Vista Home Business] and I have unlocker both portable and useable.

It works very well for those stubborn files/folders.

It did the job when deleting this folder [with a file which was said to be in use but was blank] that both killbox and eraser couldn't deal with.

# to make portable

just put the 'exe' and 'sys' inside the same directory

once ran, it'll generate a 'cfg' file

from there all you need is to make a shortcut to the sendto menu

that is how I got around installing it! =D

theres a program called unlocker for both vista and xp and it works fine on both...

Thats the program I used on XP.

I cannot install it on my Vista.

Is it really for Vista?

i just did a normal install and it ran fine on my vista box... i don't know if this would help you or not but i have uac turned off and you have to take ownership of your program files directory. Also the take ownership thing may fix your problem with deleting files too. Just Google "take ownership vista" and you'll find info on working with vista. Also i have a program i been using called regtoy that is kinda like tweakUI on steroids but it has a lot of settings you can tweak on vista that make it easier to work with.

No thanks, I rather not have a portable one, as I would need to plug in my flash drive every time.

=================

OYFG I hated that UAC crap!

I shot it, stabbed it, burned it, car-ran-overed it, electrocuted it, & drowned it hecks a long ago!

So many things started working after.

Lemme install it again...

WHAT?!! IT WORKS!!

WTF Why?

..well, whatever the reason is, w00t!

**EDIT**

dAMMIT!

That was just the installation & starting up.

It will not bring up the program when I fail to delete.

**EDIT** again

Ohhh, I right click the file, then unlock in Vista...

I was trying to make it come up on a failed delete.

Is there a way to make it pop up when I fail to delete a file?

I have to manually bring it up now.

You don't have to run a "portable" app from an external device..

Back in my windows using days i would partition off part of my hhd and store all my portables in there, almost in the same way the Program Files folder is organized. That way when It came time to reinstall windows, i wouldnt have to find all my old programs and reinstall them as well... Its not very hard to make an app semi portable. You can install it and copy all the .dlls and .exes into another folder and try to run it that way, or you can open the installer with 7zip/winrar and extract in that manner as well.. They might still write to the registry but if you are going to be using it fairly often it doenst really matter.

Ohh, yeah I to like portable apps, but I rather be 100% sure it is installed correctly.

Reg keys & all.

I keep a backup of all my programs in my flash drive & another HDD partition.

Also, I will sometime give a copy of the apps to my friends, so it would be better if they know they can uninstall it easily.