Jasager alternative hardware

There is no way it will be 15km unless it's in a very non-urban area,

It's output is about 380mw so it's on par with the Fon and the Alfa AWUS036H.

All 3 devices will have have about 15x the xmit range of a normal laptop that runs around 20mw.

The problem is that the effective range is about 1/2 that as it has to be able to receive those weak signals.

I am in the process of looking for something this small that will deal out a full 1W, but using an 8-15dbi antenna with a device like the 3 above will defiantly help with reception.

Anyone out that that is a HAM will know that for better reception of weak signals you want as close to a full wave antenna as possible. However thats a big ass antenna.

collinear full wave 802.11 centered is about 104.4 mm or 4inches per segment. For 8dbi you need roughly 18 segments with the ends thats about 75 inches or 6.25 feet.

Suffice it to say that is not very inconspicuous.

I would say you can expect 50-100yards very good reception and maybe more with average to low reception.

It's still very good.

Just read about this nice little board.

http://beagleboard.org/

I like that it integrates with the USRP boards, that could make an interesting mobile project.

The BB+USRP is a lot more versatile than the ones above, but it's also a lot more expensive, to get the wifi range you need the RFX2400 board and that runs $275 not including antenna. so without a case or antenna you are at 150 for the BB and 275 for the RFX2400 totaling $450

Once you add in power, case antenna, you are over 500 and not very light.

So it's portable yes, but in my opinion there are better options.

Also I forgot to mention that with that setup your only outputting at 20mW not 400mW.

I didn't check it out that much but from what you've said it is a shame, it looked like such a nice little setup as well.

O defiantly, as a HAM I would love to have the money to build a GNU Radio setup. Using the GNU base board instead of a beagle runs about 700USD to get into, and that's low power. It's a lot more versatile than a HAM rig would be but you have to have a bit more money and time to put into it as you need a linear amp. After I graduate I should have more money to play with than I do now with school.

If I gather the money up this spring Im going to build a pair of collinear antenna and put a 1W booster on both. One for TX one for RX and use some sort of open single board PC that can run jasager or something similar. If I dont go into video games I will probably get a admin/security consultant job.

Iceberg recently sent me a link to this kit and it looks like it would work great for running Jasager. Just wondering what your thoughts were (aside from the obvious $$)

http://www.netgate.com/product_info.php?ma...products_id=625

What other SoC's are available?

looks really nice, but definately too expensive!

Anyone here with some experiences with that hardware?

• 4 weeks later...

I am currently running jasager on 2 x wiligear WBD-500's as i am unable to find fon routers in australia. The wbd-500's are the same as the fons but they have a 500mw radio instead i have people connecting to der jasager from about 1km away using a 9dbi antenna with it.

• 1 year later...
I am currently running jasager on 2 x wiligear WBD-500's as i am unable to find fon routers in australia. The wbd-500's are the same as the fons but they have a 500mw radio instead i have people connecting to der jasager from about 1km away using a 9dbi antenna with it.

Hey mate I'm looking at using the QBD-500's but im wondering if you have been able to set these cards up as a mobile rig as they require 9v's to run. If you do have this rigged up as mobile i would like to see some pic's and just some info on how you did this.

Cheers!!

Edited by Arthie

• 1 month later...

If I gather the money up this spring Im going to build a pair of collinear antenna and put a 1W booster on both. One for TX one for RX and use some sort of open single board PC that can run jasager or something similar. If I dont go into video games I will probably get ccna a admin/security consultant job.

I have been looking into alternative hardware for the interceptor, if you don't check that forum please see this thread

http://www.hak5.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=13182

The hardware I listed should also work for Jasager purposes.

The most interesting looks like this guy

http://www.alfa.com.tw/in/front/bin/ptdeta...Category=107225

I sent an email to alfa about purchasing information, awaiting a response.

My problem is when I boot up PeToUSB, my flash drive is not recognized by the program. It boots up and says "No USB disks found!" and no matter how many times I refresh the list, nothing comes up. I've even tried a different flash drive, but even it isn't recognized. The drive that I'm trying to use is a Sandisk Cruzer 32 gig, with the U3 software removed.