Question on Jas from Episode 412

On Episode 412 you guys were hooking up the man in the middle attack and you noticed that there were SSIDs from places that were too far away to be actual SSIDs. How did those SSIDs get on the list? Are they recorded inside the fon or are they something the Fon sniffed from the SSIDs that your connected Windows laptop had a cache of?

Further, is there any way to clear those SSIDs? I do some traveling and I would not want those to broadcast if I was in an area where it would be strange to see them.

Jasager doesn't broadcast ssids, it listens for probe requests and replies to them.

Without having to rewatch 412, are you talking about the windows list of ssids or ones shown in the Jasager interface?

what is the difference between listening for probe rquests and broadcasting SSIDs?

In 412 they start up the fon and there is an SSID available from work. They connect to that SSID. If the fon does not broadcast the SSID where is it coming from? How does it show up?

The SSID is coming from the computer not the FON. The computer sends out a probe request to find network(s) it's connected to in the past (This is what contains the SSID) and the FON running Jasager simply responds "Yes I am that network" back to your computer. It dosen't broadcast any SSIDs

Hope that helps

what is the difference between listening for probe rquests and broadcasting SSIDs?

In 412 they start up the fon and there is an SSID available from work. They connect to that SSID. If the fon does not broadcast the SSID where is it coming from?

The SSID is coming from the computer not the FON. The computer sends out a probe request to find network(s) it's connected to in the past (This is what contains the SSID) and the FON running Jasager simply responds "Yes I am that network" back to your computer. It dosen't broadcast any SSIDs

Hope that helps

Ok that makes sense... but how does the fon supersede the actual network? For instance if my network is up and running and so is the fon what gives the fon the connect over my actual wireless network?

It is all about signal strength, most clients will connect to the strongest signal so if you've got a fon and an ap next to each other it may switch between the two, if the fon is closest then it will win.

The idea of Jasager is to get clients when they are away from home so their own AP won't be there to compete.

Ok so to clear thing's up for me please tell me if this makes sense:

I start the fon up and then I start up my laptop > the laptop boots up and automatically looks for my old AP > the fon is closer and it says "that's me" > my laptop connects to the fon but it thinks it on the old AP SSID > this is verified by the jasager list showing my old AP's SSID is now connected > The MAC address shown is the MAC address of my laptop's wireless card

Is that correct to say?