Jasager on a normal Laptop?

Tominator

Hi!

I watched the episodes about Jasager and I must say: a very interesting tool.

I was trying to get Karma working on my old IBM t23 with an theros card (running ubuntu intrepid) but i couldn't make it :)

So now I am wondering if it is also possible to run jasager on a normal pc/laptop?

If not, does anyone know a recent tutorial howto run karma under a debian-based system?

If it helpes: I've got aircrack-ng working... it's fully functional (tested my own network)

Cheers

Tominator

If you are prepared to do a bit of coding then you can get Jasager running on a laptop but you need to be careful as the web interface needs access to the iw and if commands so it either needs to be running as root, have sudo access or have them setuid to root.

I've deliberately not released a version for that because I've got a plan for a slightly different version of Jasager which will run on laptops. I've no idea when I'll get round to building it so don't hold your breath.

Someone else asked me for a copy of karma and I'll try to sort that out this weekend. To install it on any system you install patched madwifi drivers then drop the framework in a directory. There are a couple of config files need setting up but it almost works out the box.

I might be the one who'd asked for the copy of karma :) My system is a Eee 701 running Debian, so I guess Tominator and I are trying to do the same thing.

I'm a coder myself but haven't built wireless applications yet, so I'm kinda hoping this will bring up an opportunity for me to get my hands dirty and help out and learn. If there's anything I can do for the modified Jasager-for-laptops vesion, I'd love to hear it!

To install it on any system you install patched madwifi drivers then drop the framework in a directory.

Which patched madwifi-drivers do you mean?

I installed the madwifi-tools package under Ubuntu... is that the patched driver? aircrack-ng is working with it...

I would be very interested if you port it to normal laptops :)

I guess I'm too less experienced to do it myself :)

Cheers,

Tominator

Here is a link to the karma framework, just download it and unpack it to a directory. It doesn't like the standard debian dhcp server, all machines I've ran it on use this version http://www.isc.org/sw/dhcp/ .

You also need the patched madwifi drivers, either grab the patches or, if you've got an eee then I've got the full source code, and install it then reboot.

download karma

Thanks, I did just that. The patches are now in place and madwifi-ng is working, so I thinking that all went fine. I just got karma working on the example XML scripts, and it starts without errors. I can't connect to my karma AP, and the SSID won't show up, but I just got started so I'm gonna try some more.

Thanks for the link to karma, by the way.

Edit - got the problems sorted out by making symbolic links (or edit the paths in the scripts) to stuff it needed, and all's well now. I just connected to my Eee's fake AP :)

You mentioned the default dhcp server for Debian doesn't work well with karma, but I haven't found any errors yet. Is it really necessary to run the one from isc.org you suggested?

So far it's all working nicely, and I'm watching the new Jasager threads with great interest. I hope to give running Jasager on the Eee a shot, see where we end up :)

If dhcp results are showing in the karma logs then you have an ok version. The problem was that whatever version some people were using dumped its log files out in a different format, all the karma script does is run a regexp against the logs, as it couldn't find what it wanted it never reported that anyone had been given an IP address. Actually assigning addresses was fine.

Actually, thinking about it, I may have added an extra regexp in to cater for that server. All this was going off very early morning at this years Shmoocon while I tried to get it working for someone.

You mentioned the default dhcp server for Debian doesn't work well with karma, but I haven't found any errors yet. Is it really necessary to run the one from isc.org you suggested?

So far it's all working nicely, and I'm watching the new Jasager threads with great interest. I hope to give running Jasager on the Eee a shot, see where we end up :)

Can you post details of your install? I'd love to give this a spin on my eee.

Grab the tarball from the link above and untar it into a directory, grab the eee madwifi karma tarball from my site (somewhere on the root) and untar that on the eee, build it then install it. Reboot and check dmesg for my name/karma being mentioned.

To start the framework go to the karma directory and run ./bin/karma ./etc/karma.xml

You need a dhcp server installed on your machine.

Any problems, shout, got to run now.

I'm guessing that the symlinks were because of iwconfig and the like, if so, don't symlink, edit the module.xml file in the AccessPoint directory. That file contains the full path of all the commands it needs to run.

Forgot to add that bit.

Karma was never really documented properly and while I've done fixes to the framework most of my changes have been to the madwifi drivers.

The whole thing needs a overhaul and documenting. If I ever get a spare week I'll look at it but it won't be in the near future.

I'm still playing with karma, it works great. Got all the example xml's working and I have been checking the source to see how it works. I downloaded Jasager, and plan to just try it out, see where it breaks. What are your plans for the overhaul? I would love to familiarize myself with the project more by chipping in on the code.

Overhauling karma...

Its a bit buggy in parts, needs fully debugging.

I'd like to do proper mitm with it, get ettercap or something similar running to capture packets.

Stick a better front end on it, got some good ideas on that, don't want to release ideas too far in case someone nicks them without giving credit

Add new modules, the version you have has the start of an nmap module I haven't had chance to finish. Having it running on a laptop gives access to a lot more software than Jasager has on the Fon, need to make use of it.

If you want to work on it then I'm happy to share ideas more and having someone to work with gives me much more reason to actually get up and do it!

I noticed your example xml calling nmap. I enabled it and ran it, saw that it started the service, but it didn't scan the connecting device (or, didn't echo back the results). I've only dabbled in Ruby with web-related stuff, I'll spend the next few days on the train reading your code and try to get more stuff working. Wifizoo, dsniff and ettercap are things I'd love to see running as well. Modules written for this version of karma would work on Jasager?

I understand your concern about getting your early ideas stolen. I'm usually coding on the GUI-front, so if you've settled on your ideas for the front-end, I am more than willing to help out if you want. I know it's motivating to work on a project with other people, that's the reason I'd love to help out!

I think getting the nmap module to work would be a good start for me -- sounds like a good introduction to getting other aps to work with karma. If you have any advice or notes to share, I'd love to hear them!

I can't remember how far I got on the nmap module and the code is on my laptop not my desktop so can't look at it easily. Have a play with it and see how far you get. If you get stuck feel free to ask for help.

Karma and Jasager modules aren't compatible in themselves but they can always be built in a way that most of the code is reusable. The problem is size, Karma gets a full laptop to run in, Jasager only gets the Fon.

If you know stuff about ettercap, or want to learn, let me know,my idea for that I think is quite a nice and sneaky one.

• 3 years later...

I got a setup with a netbook , BT5 R2 and an Alfa Awus036h and got the same think that Jasager does (listening for probe request and responding to every probe with a positive probe response) with

airbase-ng -P -C 30 mon0

and listening Dhcpd server on at0 (created by airbase-ng). It works like charm , like a pineapple..Pretty cool :)

The only problem with airbase is that it is simulating an AP in software so isn't as reliable or as able to cope with as many clients but for a single victim it works fine

Yes of course it isn't comparable..Karma and Jasager in addition to reliability have a bunch of fine tuning options like black and white listing and fixed AP name..

I've noticed that with airbase-ng you cannot set a standard beaconing AP name but it does a sort of a continously scanning for probe requests and then starts beaconing the SSID the clients are probing for..Let's say i have a client with no remembered network, so actually i'll send no probe request in the air, and i want to do a scan for avaible AP.. What i'll see is dynamically changing AP name in relation for probe requests the ALFA is receiving..If it catch "NETGEAR" probe i'll see the "NETGEAR" AP name and this behiaviour it's very differnt from Pineapple, Jasager and Karma.