Network troubles

SquintRingo

are you trying to share your internet connection over wireless in XP or in vista? you have two options that you can do. first and probably easiest is to setup an ad-hoc connection after you have shared your wired internet connection to your wireless card, once you complete an adhoc connection to the other device you should be getting a solid connection to the internet just fine. you may also need to check your firewall settings. tell me if youre using XP or vista then i can give you a proper walk through on getting ICS working over your wireless card.

are you trying to share your internet connection over wireless in XP or in vista? you have two options that you can do. first and probably easiest is to setup an ad-hoc connection after you have shared your wired internet connection to your wireless card, once you complete an adhoc connection to the other device you should be getting a solid connection to the internet just fine. you may also need to check your firewall settings. tell me if youre using XP or vista then i can give you a proper walk through on getting ICS working over your wireless card.

Thanks, I am using XP. I have an ad-hoc wireless already set up. Now I connect my computer through the cabled rj-45 lan. I now want to connect another computer through the wireless connection.. thats the problem, it will connect to the ad-hoc, but won't share the internet.

i could be wrong but it sounds to me like a routing issue

from memory i dont think XP routes between 2 network cards by default, i do believe there is a reg key that needs to be changed for this to work and i still had issues and ended up downloading winproxy.

Thanks, I am using XP. I have an ad-hoc wireless already set up. Now I connect my computer through the cabled rj-45 lan. I now want to connect another computer through the wireless connection.. thats the problem, it will connect to the ad-hoc, but won't share the internet.

Ok so you should have your wired connection setup as shared, and you'll want to share it to your wireless network card, but thats not all you need to do. under the wired network connection sharing settings you need to enable what services network users will be able to access. so you should enable the services you want to be able to use once you connect to that computer via wireless, also make sure that dhcp is enabled for your wired connection under the tcp/ip v4 properties. alternatively you can go to your network connections page in explorer and setup a new home/office network and set it up so that other computers connect through this computer. this will configure windows firewall settings for you, also if youre using a different software firewall such as zonealarm, you should tell zonealarm or whatever other firewall it is that your computer "is" a gateway server running NAT/ICS. i'll try to get on my xp box later and take some screen shots to make it easier to understand.

Ok so you should have your wired connection setup as shared, and you'll want to share it to your wireless network card, but thats not all you need to do. under the wired network connection sharing settings you need to enable what services network users will be able to access. so you should enable the services you want to be able to use once you connect to that computer via wireless, also make sure that dhcp is enabled for your wired connection under the tcp/ip v4 properties. alternatively you can go to your network connections page in explorer and setup a new home/office network and set it up so that other computers connect through this computer. this will configure windows firewall settings for you, also if youre using a different software firewall such as zonealarm, you should tell zonealarm or whatever other firewall it is that your computer "is" a gateway server running NAT/ICS. i'll try to get on my xp box later and take some screen shots to make it easier to understand.

thats exactly what I did before.. Its still won't share the internet. is it possible that since its a school network, they have some security on it so that it can't be shared out?

thanks...will do,,was just looking for a cheaper alternative....

what type of wireless card are you using? and have you checked the configuration settings on your wireless card to see if it has AP or soft AP mode?

what type of wireless card are you using? and have you checked the configuration settings on your wireless card to see if it has AP or soft AP mode?

I don't know what that mode is.its a dell wlan card though. I have broadcasted my internet with it before, and it worked fine. but connected to this network, it won't share..so I am thinking its some kinda security from the school..is that possible? can they actually block you from sharing it?