Jasager v2 launched

I've just released Jasager version 2.

Please read the Installation Notes. Version 2 has more dependencies than version 1 so extra packages will needs installing, also, anyone upgrading from v2_rc1 needs an extra flag when calling ipkg.

For new installations, my install notes start around step 17 of Darrens but you will need to remember to copy across the extra packages.

What was the problem/symptoms?

Now that I've got it done and out the door I'm going to re-flash one of my Fons and do an install from scratch. If you can point me at what I'm looking for I could try an install then upgrade.

Well when I did the upgrade I got this error

root@OpenWrt:~# ipkg install jasager_2.0.ipk

Installing jasager (2) to root...

Configuring jasager

ln: /etc/rc.d/S91jasager: File exists

/karma/bin/create_option_list.rb:3:in 'require': no such file to load --rexml/document (LoadError)

from /karma/bin/create_option_list.rb:3

httpd: bind: Address already in use

Warning: Installation may have already failed.

Detected 2_rc1 is installed, but this is 2.

Done.

Then when I rebooted and opened the Jasager site I would get some ruby errors I believe, but I'm not completely sure, I didn't save those errors, but they were located where the sections "Status / Main Controls" and "Connected Clients" are. There weren't any buttons, just a long error string.

When that happened I tried installing Jasager again, and got the same stuff, so I tried redoing the mad-wifi drivers, then i tried going to the rc1 and doing the downgrade, but that didn't help. At this point I figured I broke it and just re-flashed.

/shrug. Hope that helps.

ok, the require problems is because the ruby xml package was missing, did you install it?

The bind: Address already in use is because the web server was already running when it tried to restart, I should use restart rather than start or check if it is already running first.

The ln is again because the symlink already exists. Rather than that being one of the files installed by the package the symlink is created by the post install script, again, I need to check if it exists before creating it. I'll probably just delete it if it does and create it from scratch, just in case.

The last detect is odd because it is comparing a version value from /karma/.version with the version the post install script thinks it is. Even though my package build directory has version 2 in it the package got built with 2_rc1. I've fixed that and put the package back up.

So, all solvable problems. I'll have a look at sorting them out tomorrow.

Thanks

Everything worked great from an upgrade of 1.2 to 2. I did not have the RC1 installed. Note for digininja though, on your site, the install page contains what seems to be a possible typo. You have ipkg install karma-madwifi_1.ipk

, but it should read, if I am not mistaken ipkg install jasager_madwifi_1.ipk. At least that is the file you have hosted on your site and also the one that I installed. Not a huge deal, just thought I would mention it.

I've sorted out the upgrade issues and put 2.1 up. Something I realised I'd documented in my install notes but not actually implemented is the dependency on the two ruby packages ruby-rexml and ruby-core. If you haven't got these installed, grab them from http://downloads.openwrt.org/kamikaze/packages/mips/ and install them with ipkg

Functionality hasn't changes so for anyone who has v2 working, don't bother upgrading, you won't get anything better.

Everything worked great from an upgrade of 1.2 to 2. I did not have the RC1 installed. Note for digininja though, on your site, the install page contains what seems to be a possible typo. You have ipkg install karma-madwifi_1.ipk

, but it should read, if I am not mistaken ipkg install jasager_madwifi_1.ipk. At least that is the file you have hosted on your site and also the one that I installed. Not a huge deal, just thought I would mention it.

Sorted it, thanks.

anyone get invalid gzip magic on installing kmod_gpio? from what i could tell it was possibly a corrupt download. I deleted all my copies and downloaded again but still no luck. for grins i tried to install the madwifi drivers and got the same error. I am using :

ipkg install kmod-gpio_2.6.21.5-atheros-1_mips.ipk

ipkg install jasager-madwifi_1.ipk

ipkg install jasager_2.1.ipk

thanks for any help.

I'm not real sure what I'm doing wrong!

I had 1.2 running fine, and I saw that 2.0 was out.

I installed:

ruby-core

ruby-rexml

kmod-gpio

and then when I tried installing jasager_2.1.ipk i got

ipkg: fork failed: Cannot allocate memory

After several futile attempts I re-flashed the fon and now have 1.2 running.

Any advice would be welcome!

Walt

I regularly have this when trying to install packages. I think it is caused by filling an area of memory/disk that is write only. This is why I provide both tarball and package as I regularly have to install stuff by untar'ing the package, working out what is going on, then installing it by hand.

If you want to go to v2 it should work with what you installed, I install at least 2 other packages (vim and its dependency) and other people have had it working with that list. Maybe it is the order they are installed, maybe it needs a reboot at a certain stage, I don't know.

Best option, with v1.2 installed, install the dependencies then grab the tarball and un-tar it to the root of the fon then reboot it. That should give you v2. Any problems, or if you do try again and get it working, let me know.

Thanks!

I'm back at the re-flashing step (#11), and twice now it has gotten to the point of recognizing the MAC and IP addresses of both devices and stalling; it never gives the messages about flashing the images! (never=>30 minutes.)

Is there some form of "master reset" to just get back to a bootloader or something (I'm relating here to flashing ROMS on a Sharp Zaurus, a similar procedure. There you can force the device into "Maintenance mode" after which almost everything begins working again).

Once I get back to the point of flashing a clean OS I will try both approaches - running the ipk or un-taring the tarball.

Thanks for the help!

Walt

EDIT - 2 hours later - back from a meeting, and I am currently flashing back tot he original FON firmware. that seems to be working OK, and I will begin again at step 1 of the process.

W.

Flashing for me on a Fon+ took the best part of an hour, if I hadn't done it before on the original Fon I would have given up but I just left it and carried on and finally it finished.

Best advice, be patient. I've not yet managed to get it bad enough that I can't get the redboot on the Fon or Fon+, once you are there you can always (I think) recover to some working state

Re-flashing took about 20 minutes (on a 2100), and the rest of the sequence went according to plan. See http://hak5.org/forums/index.php?showtopic...mp;#entry110139

The only hitch was at the very end - Jasager said it was shutting down the previous version - there was none - and then hung at "Starting Jasager". Power off reboot fixed that and it is running fine now!

Walt

It does take quite a while to start up, it has to go through the scripts directory and parse the xml to create files. You probably won't notice the time on system start up as it looks like just part of the normal boot time.

I have a similar problem with the IP addresses field in the interface. Clients associate, I can see their mac, but never an IP -- even when I'm running a dhcpd from the host machine. Maybe I'm going about it wrong, but I don't foresee getting a lot of use out of the built in functionality, like the port scanner, if the fon doesn't hook the clients up with IP addresses.

Oh, and re 1471, wikipedia states that year "The Yorkist King Edward IV returns to England to reclaim his throne."

The client table gets the IP from the an arp lookup, I suppose if the IP address is being given out by a device on the wired side of the Fon and the client doesn't know the fon exists then the Fon never has to talk to the client and vise versa so the arp table may never get populated.

We need a way for the fon to get access to the ip address of the clients.

One way that comes to mind is to packet sniff all the traffic and use that to tie MAC to IP. That would work but would use processor power.

I'll have a see what code I get with the side jacking stuff I'm working on, see if some of that can be re-purposed to sniff the IP address.

If anyone else has any ideas for this let me know.

The client table gets the IP from the an arp lookup, I suppose if the IP address is being given out by a device on the wired side of the Fon and the client doesn't know the fon exists then the Fon never has to talk to the client and vise versa so the arp table may never get populated.

We need a way for the fon to get access to the ip address of the clients.

One way that comes to mind is to packet sniff all the traffic and use that to tie MAC to IP. That would work but would use processor power.

I'll have a see what code I get with the side jacking stuff I'm working on, see if some of that can be re-purposed to sniff the IP address.

If anyone else has any ideas for this let me know.

Well I'd prefer not using the host for assigning IPs to the clients. If there is a way to reliably get the Fon to do this I'd prefer that. How do you have yours setup? I feel that I'm going about that aspect wrong but I haven't heard otherwise.