What is the best firewall

StarchyPizza

hey could u tell how to know whether i have a firewall in my router?????

its ISPs router

plz replyy

are you sure it's a router and not modem? Routers usually have a pretty reliable firewall when configured correctly. Modems do not have firewalls. Do you know the name, make, and/or model? (Belkin, Linksys, Netgear, etc.)

hey could u tell how to know whether i have a firewall in my router?????

its ISPs router

plz replyy

Just wait let me roll a dice..

Hmm.. Yes you do!

hey thnks for tat info

ill do more research on ittt

then come back again

Enable the firewall on your router as well as the default WinXP. That should prevent most viruses entering your network, but most PC's are infected from trusted people coming to your network. Like friend's plugging into your network with infected PCs or giving you a thumbdrive thats infected.

I would recommend you get a good anti-virus and backup your data regularly.

Just because you have 1365 TCP available doesn't mean there's a service listening on there. Even if there is, it doesn't mean a "hacker" can just gain access to the service/system.

I think Jetico Personal v 1.0 is the best free Firewall for Windows XP.

http://www.firewallleaktester.com/

http://www.matousec.com/projects/firewall-challenge/

I use it, it is a little crude but effective - a lot of popups in learning mode. Uses only about 6MB each of RAM and VM. Be sure to check "Save Firewall Rules of Exit" in the settings or none of your exceptions will be saved.

Zone Alarm, Windows XP SP2 firewall fail miserably. For free, COmodo does well too.

• 2 weeks later...

Hardware firewalls aren't expensive and provide other functionality like VPN plus it means all your network is protected by it.

Check out the Watchguard range. You can pick up their smaller units for very little and they all run linux. :)

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...

If you actually know what your doing you dont need this extra firewall software...

Windows Firewall

Config your Standard Windows Firewall

Go to your Advanced Firewall in Vista / W7 and create your inbound and outbound rules..

If your in XP just go to your IP Filter and block all ports except for the one's use ofc

Router Firewall

Depending on how advance your firewall on router is just block all ports except for one you use

Hardware Firewall

If you feel you need extra security for your systems then you could buy hardware firewall

it wont come cheap but you'll have alot more protection against attacks such as DDoS / DoS etc

If you actually know what your doing you dont need this extra firewall software...

Windows Firewall

Config your Standard Windows Firewall

Go to your Advanced Firewall in Vista / W7 and create your inbound and outbound rules..

If your in XP just go to your IP Filter and block all ports except for the one's use ofc

Router Firewall

Depending on how advance your firewall on router is just block all ports except for one you use

Hardware Firewall

If you feel you need extra security for your systems then you could buy hardware firewall

it wont come cheap but you'll have alot more protection against attacks such as DDoS / DoS etc

So are you just randomly posting to old ass threads today?

So are you just randomly posting to old ass threads today?

I think answer to that question is pretty obvious...I wouldnt quite say random wasnt it?

Most of you here posting crap like you don't need it when you actually create very protected

policies within windows default installed software

So when im only keeping few ports such as port 80, 21 etc blocking the rest

Do you think you need all this extra firewall software?

If your honest about it your answer is no...

Unless your worried about DDoS / DoS / Syn Attacks etc

Yet again there is some simple protection within windows to prevent

these ways again but not as effective as Hardware Firewalls and "some" Firewall software

Okay PoZHx, most people probably don't need more than the default firewalls in the operating systems and router. But, if you are downloading somewhat sketchy software often enough, it is nice to have a good firewall to block outgoing connections, which all windows firewalls do a pretty crappy job with. A good antivirus helps aswell.

• 1 month later...