What is the best firewall

StarchyPizza

really?

I've always heard that it wasn't good to just have the windows firewall as it isn't that great and it leaves you open to attacks. But I guess if you are safe with your internet usage you'll be fine

But I am also on a laptop so if I ever plug directly into a modem there wouldn't be one in the router

Check out Sygate Personal Firewall, it's free and effective for managing which apps have inbound/outbound network access. Also the amount of system resources it uses are tiny, un-noticeable.

Aside from a SW firewall you should have a HW firewall in your router to plain stop all inbound connections.

Smooth Wall / Router + Windows Firewall (or ufw for ubuntu) is all you need, if you have a router you don't need a fancy software firewall, just something basic like the one included with the os.

The theory is that the best firewall is one the one that comes with, and is part of, the operating system. This is certainly true for Linux and (kind of) BSD. In terms of performance for Windows the built in (and aptly named) "Windows Firewall" is the best, it's just very featureless.

if you have a spare machine lying around you might want to check out untangle. it is pretty decent not to mention free. you also need to understand that just a plain router is NOT a firewall. If your router does not have firewall software installed on it, you are only going to benefit from the nat of the router. You should also understand that a firewall is only as good as the rules that you have setup on it. an example would be... on some firewalls, you can add many specific inbound and outbound rules. depending on the firewall, these rules can conflict and you might leave yourself vulnerable. for the most part an average user will be fine with a decent software firewall and behind a nat.

The Best Firewall ?

As far as software is considered I would recommend Checkpoint it is the best software firewall period but you gotta pay but if your looking for a free firewall then get Comodo Firewall

As Far as Hardware is considered I would recommend Astaro

Router firewall (built in) is decent but I feel that the more protection the better :)

Monowall ? Never used it , but googled it and 'A free embedded firewall software package based on FreeBSD' that right there tils me it is probably good

Windows Firewall ? Honestly, that is a joke

ZoneAlarm, is good but the problem with Zonealarm like Windows is that is has been known to get easily bypassed it just to bit risky

Smoothwall is good

Sygate Personal Firewall is decent

• 2 weeks later...

hey could u tell how to know whether i have a firewall in my router?????

its ISPs router

plz replyy