Learning about archives

DingleBerries

Ok so the last Crack me challenge proved to be a bit to difficult for many people.. So here is the new one..

Hints:

Password is staring you in the face

Watch that hex

Difficulty:

UB3R NOOB

Download:

http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/334463/easy.rar

This is cool...

Ok so theres a password encoded with md5

which is.

PaSsWoRd

The header needed to be fixed which i did.

The rar still wont open but it looks like its an unencrypted rar file.

Number 2

This is a simple encrypted rar archive. It took me1 min with rarcrack. A password protected file is inside that will tell you what to do

Tips:

Color by numbers.

Download

Number 3

No archive information for this one. A little more difficult then the last but not impossible.

Tips:

Rebuild, Rebuild, Rebuild.

Download

Maybe someone else can make more?

I've got about 2 hours of running rarcrack on number 2. Still nothing. I do not know a whole lot about archives. I suppose I am doing something wrong but for reference I have a dual core 2.5ghz cpu 800mhz fsb ( Mobile). I was just wondering if I was going about this wrong by just typing

rarcrack --type rar number2.rar

I've got about 2 hours of running rarcrack on number 2. Still nothing. I do not know a whole lot about archives. I suppose I am doing something wrong but for reference I have a dual core 2.5ghz cpu 800mhz fsb ( Mobile). I was just wondering if I was going about this wrong by just typing
rarcrack --type rar number2.rar

rarcrack encrypted_archive.ext [--threads NUM] [--type rar|zip|7z]

you have it wrong.. and read about the xml file create by rarcrack and take that tip and apply it.. this one isnt hard by any means

The syntax that I used worked fine, I suppose I could increase the number of threads that it is using. Not knowing the password length would mean there is no reason to change the starting position of the xml file. I assumed that there was nothing out of the ordinary with the character set used for the password, especially considering you said it only took around a minute. I guess I'll let it run and assume you have access to a more powerful computer then I do at this time.

*Edit* For grammatical errors *Edit*

• 1 month later...

ok, so I know I'm really new here and have pretty much 0 experience in these types of things. But I've been really interrested in this site so far and kind of wanted to take a crack at a few things. I wanted to try some of your files since as you said they were really easy, but none of the links work anymore. Anychance they can get put up again. Did anyone figure out the other two that you posted?