Jasager, Karma and airbase-ng: what if you have no internet to share?

I found the show through Revision3 and I'm loving it. I'm interested in Jasager and have been reading up on it. I'm not in the possesion of a FON yet, so in anticipation I started working with Karmasploit, and then airbase-ng. There's a thread on this forum about how airbase-ng can be used to basically do the same stuff as Jasager, which was really helpful.

I have a question though: is there anything you can do when you can't share internet? My PC finds my airbase-ng generated AP frpm my laptop and tries to connect, but disconnects because it thinks it's down. I haven't set up my laptop to have a dhcp server running to share my network.

I was wondering if there's still a possibility to set up a basic connection, so I can do a portscan with nmap on the connecting client?

karma was the original of all this. It is basically a patch for the madwifi drivers to let them respond to any ssids and a ruby framework that incorporates a number of servers/services to provide different things as mentioned above.

Dino Dai Zovi wrote the original karma and patched madwifi, I then took over and patched madwifi-ng, added some extra functionality and fixed some bugs.

I haven't released a full version of it for a while, just the odd patch here and there, if you are interested I can probably put together a tarball of a working version.

HDM took quite a bit of karma into Metasploit and created Karmatasploit from it, I keep saying I'll give it a proper look over and have a play with it but haven't had time.

Something to watch out for, karma is included on BT3 but doesn't work, I've created a working version for BT but it is probably easier if you want to get it working to just install it on your working linux setup.

Cheers, thanks for clarifying this for me. I've taken a look at your site and see that you have released karma specifically for the Eee, so I'm going to play around with that when time permits. No need to make a tarball of the newest version just for me -- I'll be keeping an eye on the project and pick up any new versions when they appear.

• 9 months later...

Would it be possible to run the whole karma framework from a fon? And if so can you point me in the direction of the framework.

I commute 1.5-2.5hrs each way to school on a moving target rich environment }: ) people call them trains i think. I don't have internet to offer for the "clients" so I'm really interested in doing this entirely on the fon. Plus my laptop can't stay on that long.

: (

EDIT:

nm found it : )

It's a package in the openwrt repo I think.

EDIT:

the package is not the framework : (

found a link to your tarball though.

EDIT:

karma framework on the fon is fail :_(

Not enough ram it seems.

root@OpenWrt:/karma# bin/karma etc/karma.xml               
Starting KARMA...
Loading config file etc/karma.xml
 ACCESS-POINT is running
AccessPoint: Card in AP mode
sh: /usr/local/bin/wlanconfig: not found
AccessPoint: IP address 169.254.133.7
AccessPoint: Blacklist Mode
/karma/modules/servers/AccessPoint/accesspoint.rb:105:in `popen': Cannot allocate memory - /usr/sbin/iwevent 2>&1 (Errno::ENOMEM)
    from /karma/modules/servers/AccessPoint/accesspoint.rb:105:in `run'
    from /karma/modules/servers/AccessPoint/accesspoint.rb:103:in `initialize'
    from /karma/modules/servers/AccessPoint/accesspoint.rb:103:in `new'
    from /karma/modules/servers/AccessPoint/accesspoint.rb:103:in `run'
    from ./bin/../modules/loader.rb:176:in `run'
    from ./bin/../modules/loader.rb:175:in `initialize'
    from ./bin/../modules/loader.rb:175:in `new'
    from ./bin/../modules/loader.rb:175:in `run'
    from bin/karma:49
    from /usr/lib/ruby/1.8/rexml/element.rb:891:in `each'
    from /usr/lib/ruby/1.8/rexml/xpath.rb:53:in `each'
    from /usr/lib/ruby/1.8/rexml/element.rb:891:in `each'
    from bin/karma:46

• 2 weeks later...

Basic answer, it won't work without quite a few changes, some dependencies are missing and some are just too heavy to install on a Fon.

Advanced answer, you will be able to create something that has the same, or very similar functionality using the original as a base.

Advanced answer, you will be able to create something that has the same, or very similar functionality using the original as a base.

That is my intention now. I've created a github repo, which currently just has the base tarball from you at the moment.

If anyone wants to check it out at any point the link is http://github.com/haxwithaxe/Karma4Fon/tree/master