What to do with an old clock radio

Blixzit

So I'll try to post a couple pictures of this old clock radio I have. I don't want to throw it away, because I'm sure there are tons of cool mods that can be done with it or using it's parts. But I noticed that the display was kind of blinking and making weird characters, instead of numbers, so I can't really use it as a clock anymore, and I already have a stereo. (Even tho I rarely listen to the radio). So if anyone has any suggestions on what I could make with it, please let me know.

U could use something like a single shot shmit trigger (or equiv using op-amps as a comparator) on the output of the alarm. This is so it will stay on when the alarm goes off. Then a relay driver and finally a relay. Off your relay is your switch for what ever.

Link some pics and ill see if it would take much to fix the display.

Had the same idea ages ago but never got there and in the end left it in the cupboard collecting dust.

grab the rss alarm clock from the wiki and set it up. get some quality wireless speakers. rip out the guts of the clock radio out. pick up some cheap little digital clock thats a small size and hotglue it where the original display was. run the power cord to the clock and ac adapters for the wireless speakers through the original hole that the original power cord came out. wrap them somehow so it looks better(perhaps some wide electric tape) and connect the speakers to the alarm clock computer.

brand new clock radio. and (if you get a remote media controller for your comp) a rather large mp3 player lol.

if you really think about it theres plenty you can do with old electronics. thats why the NES controller mp3 player exists as well as LED belt buckles and stuff. get creative

• 2 weeks later...

Find out which wires go to the buzzer, and hook them up to a relay. Then, get a car horn and hook that up to the relay. Now you have a nice and loud alarm clock to set up under someone else's bed (preferably not in the same house).

Fon idea, I like. Any router that could fit, really.

You could turn it into a charging station for all your electronic gizmo's. Make it battery operated, with a docking station for your cell/mp3 player, etc. You could gut it and put all the separate chargers inside it, with only the ends of the wires sticking out. :P

Fon idea, I like. Any router that could fit, really.

You could turn it into a charging station for all your electronic gizmo's. Make it battery operated, with a docking station for your cell/mp3 player, etc. You could gut it and put all the separate chargers inside it, with only the ends of the wires sticking out. :P

^^

That sounds like a project, snubs....sweet!!

That charging station actually sounds useful for me. I have an iPod, 2 digital cameras, and my Xbox 360 controller, and eventually I'll have a new cell phone. I'm definitely going to have to get my hands dirty once I figure out what exactly I'm doing.