A few question, help please

ok i was looking at the forums for some help with these quetions but couldn't find the answers i was looking for, also i am really kind of noobish with linux, sorry about that.

Question 1: When there become upgrades for openWRT and Jasager, how do i install those over the old ones, and in which order should they be updated?

Question 2: I forgot to change the IP address on my fon before installing Jasager, now my fon and my main router have the same IP and dont work together, how do i change the interface to the old one so i can tweak/fix the openWRT the way i would like?

Question 3: (now this is for an opinion) how would you hook the fon up? I have my main pc which has 2 NICs on it, should i bridge them and connect my fon on the second or is it better to just plug the fon into one of my routers/switches?

I do have to say i love this project it really has got my wheels turning to see what all i can do with it, it was also the finale straw to get me to setup my fon, so i must thank everyone here for that.

ok i was looking at the forums for some help with these quetions but couldn't find the answers i was looking for, also i am really kind of noobish with linux, sorry about that.

Question 1: When there become upgrades for openWRT and Jasager, how do i install those over the old ones, and in which order should they be updated?

I'm about to release version 2 of Jasager. Assuming you installed version 1 from the package (not tarball) then all you need to do is copy the package to the device and do ipkg install <package>. The package manager will take care of the rest. It is the same for other openwrt packages. To upgrade openwrt itself you'd need to re-flash it.

Question 2: I forgot to change the IP address on my fon before installing Jasager, now my fon and my main router have the same IP and dont work together, how do i change the interface to the old one so i can tweak/fix the openWRT the way i would like?

If you followed Darrens instructions then you'll have renamed index.html to webif.html. Just hit that in a browser and it will give you the webif interface where you can change the ip.

Question 3: (now this is for an opinion) how would you hook the fon up? I have my main pc which has 2 NICs on it, should i bridge them and connect my fon on the second or is it better to just plug the fon into one of my routers/switches?

I have mine plugged directly into my switch and have my gateway know about traffic from the wireless network so it can route all incoming traffic for that subnet through the fon. Most other people have setup internet connection sharing. Take your pick.

I do have to say i love this project it really has got my wheels turning to see what all i can do with it, it was also the finale straw to get me to setup my fon, so i must thank everyone here for that.

Good, have a play, come up with ideas and build things. The new module system allows you to easily add new features and I'm always interested in ideas.

thank you for the help digininja, i went through and got my ip adress changed on the fon and came up with a few other questions, but a little background with my network might be helpful first.

I currently have 2 routers connected to my network one is a 2wire device from at&t (i dont like it, but you use what you got right?) the other is a linksys wrt54gs running dd-wrt, it's configured to run as a switch and a wireless ap. I have been using default 192.168.1.1 ranges, with the 2wire as 192.168.1.1 and the wrt54gs as 192.168.1.2. So now if i plug my fon into the network i want to use 192.168.1.3.

The first question here is what other configurations do i need to do to the fon so it plays nicely with the rest of the network? i.e. am i blacklisting both the SSIDs for the first 2 routers or blacklisting MAC addresses for the 2 routers?

Second question, what exactly does the blacklisting do for the fon? (now i do understand to some extent because on my wrt54gs i have blacklisted MAC address so that they cant connect to it anymore, but from my understanding of how Jasager operates thats not entirely true.)

Third question, is the fon currently setup with 2 SSIDs like the fon was originally setup? (kind of a funny reason to ask, but i connected to openWRT when setting up this thing, and now im not sure if im seeing it because it's really there or because Jasager is running and telling me its there doh!)

thank you for the help digininja, i went through and got my ip adress changed on the fon and came up with a few other questions, but a little background with my network might be helpful first.

questions, questions, always questions :-)

I currently have 2 routers connected to my network one is a 2wire device from at&t (i dont like it, but you use what you got right?) the other is a linksys wrt54gs running dd-wrt, it's configured to run as a switch and a wireless ap. I have been using default 192.168.1.1 ranges, with the 2wire as 192.168.1.1 and the wrt54gs as 192.168.1.2. So now if i plug my fon into the network i want to use 192.168.1.3.

Sounds ok so far

The first question here is what other configurations do i need to do to the fon so it plays nicely with the rest of the network? i.e. am i blacklisting both the SSIDs for the first 2 routers or blacklisting MAC addresses for the 2 routers?

If you want to stop your devices connecting to Jasager instead of the real AP you need to blacklist the SSIDs from your APs, however many you have

Second question, what exactly does the blacklisting do for the fon? (now i do understand to some extent because on my wrt54gs i have blacklisted MAC address so that they cant connect to it anymore, but from my understanding of how Jasager operates thats not entirely true.)

http://www.digininja.org/jasager/docs_black_white.php

Third question, is the fon currently setup with 2 SSIDs like the fon was originally setup? (kind of a funny reason to ask, but i connected to openWRT when setting up this thing, and now im not sure if im seeing it because it's really there or because Jasager is running and telling me its there doh!)

It is setup with no SSIDs by default. It was originally an accident but then I decided that I liked it. I basically forgot to set an SSID in iwconfig when I setup ath0. As Jasager automatically responds to any SSID I figured why bother actually setting one, makes it slightly more stealthy that way.