Comptia A+ question

still learning

Is it going to ask me a bunch of old stuff not revelent to todays pc's? like what kind of microprocesser a 386DX Ibm pc used? or what each irq port goes to what ect..

Also .. how many chances do i get to take the test? say I buy the voucher and fail it the first time, do i have to buy another voucher to the another test, or do they give you a second chance to take it for free or something?

Also where is the best place to take it? and how much is it about 300$ ?

thanks

Well, I took my test 4/2002. At the time the test was in 2 parts. My major concern that the graphics were horrid!!!! If they are using the same testing formats be aware of the bad graphics. You are also timed. If memory serves me correct any above 600 you pass. However, all of that may have changed. There should be a section on Comptia's website on A+ practice & preparedness.

Yeah its had to have changed by 2002.. I under stand their are two parts to the exam the core essentials and a second one , im going for IT Technician exam. How many times can I take one of them though, like say the first time i take the core essentials , say i fail it by a few points. Can i retake it again for free? or until i pass it? or will i have to pay 160$ each time i take the exam, reguardless if i pass it or not.. didnt see anything on the website about that

thanks

Is it going to ask me a bunch of old stuff not revelent to todays pc's? like what kind of microprocesser a 386DX Ibm pc used? or what each irq port goes to what ect..

Also .. how many chances do i get to take the test? say I buy the voucher and fail it the first time, do i have to buy another voucher to the another test, or do they give you a second chance to take it for free or something?

Also where is the best place to take it? and how much is it about 300$ ?

thanks

2007 version doesnt ask about the older computer stuff they might ask about the old DIN port and what it was used for. Only thing that i had trouble with was the printers i study them so much i wanted to shoot myself and still couldnt remeber the steps of the laser printing process lol.

Good Luck

Well.. the reason i want to get it, is because 90% of the jobs i have been applying for say to not even apply unless I have an A+ cert. I know i can pass the exam i will have to do a little studying first though on laser printer process and a couple other things, i just got the michael myers 2007 A+ book to study from and it came with a CD with practice exam questions. So i guess i will take the practice exam until i pass it with flying colors then go in for the real exam.

Any idea on how many questions it is? I heard 100 for each test, is that correct?

thanks for all of your help!

well i wrote it in may sometime or april lol i have my certificate here on the wall in front of me i dont know if that date is to say when i wrote or when it was issued. Anyways, no they dont ask you all those older Q's, they ask basic things in the A+ book, if you read any A+ im sure youll be able to pass. Its easy i didnt even study lol. as for the q of where to take it, i wouldnt know since seeing im not in your coutry, but the testing center i took it at was a prometric testing center

Is there any point to this certification? I could train a monkey high on crack to do any job that might find it useful. computers are like lego and not the mindstorm stuff, the shitty plastic blocks.

This is somewhat tru; however like previously stated it's about getting jobs. Sure you might not need to take the test to prove your knowledge on the stuff covered on the exam, but it looks much better to a potential employer to show "hey I proved I know this and I took the time and effort to study and or schedule the exam". The A+ is a decent way to get your foot in the door in IT, we all know the job market is very competitive so any advantage you can get is good.

This coming from someone who has passed the A+, Network+, Security+, and MCSA exams.

You might see some questions on some older hardware and OS's. when i took it in 2002, I had a question on setting up com ports and interrupts using jumpers on a non pnp modem. Although, in 2002 you would still find that kind of hardware around it was still a bit rare. basically if you can build a pc, troubleshoot hardware/software, know some basic networking, and are pretty good at getting around in windows, you should do alright.

Even if you didn't take the A+ exam, it kind of prepares you for the other certs. Network+ would be something to aim for, so if you can pass that, any job requiring A+ should hire you with a network+ cert, and it also will get you more jobs that pay better than entry level help desk/desktop support type of stuff.

I recently lost my job as a Network Admin and have no certs and no college. So job hunting sucks! Anywho, I'm reading the CompTIA +A book right now and plan to take the test soon. It's all fairly basic hardware stuff with a few old school terms and historic printer crap I wasn't familiar with.

Oh and I had to print out Cleaning, Charging, Writing, Developing, Transferring, Fusing and put it on my wall to remember it. "Charlie Can Walk Dance and Talk French". Damn laser printers.

I plan on getting a Network+ and eventually a Security+ as I've reviewed the material for those and they aren't that bad either. Also the right CompTIA Certs can work as electives towards M$ Certs (link)

Giezr