White hat hacker carrer

StarchyPizza

Your probably wondering why nobodies posted yet... We'll its because you cant just goto hacker school....

BUT

There are things you can do to learn for example working in computer security is a good place to learn to hack said security because in order to secure something you must understand how it is breached. That is just one example.

another thing is personal experience, there's not a school for everything you have to look into it, I may not be the best hacker here or much else anywhere (other than my local community) lol :) But I learn things that I want to do, I'll look into it on google I get experience because I will get an idea in my mind and run with it and will usually complete it at any expense. Anyway theres my 2 cents (well with the economy its about 1.3 cents huh lol)

Computer Sciences are computer sciences, not hacking. It's learning about how computers work, not how to hack them.

You should look for an Ethical Hacking course for White Hat Hacking or do a Computing course and learn Hacking in your spare time.

You'll never get a legit job as a 'White hat hacker', perhaps as a Security Analyst but only if you're extremely good (and I mean EXTREMELY good) that's going to be difficult when you could easily drift into being a SW dev with much less effort.

Being in IT is different for every job, personally I'm working part-time in an IT shop while studying and I work 7 hour days, almost always on my feet talking to people in the store. However I have a friend that works as a Tech and he just sits at a desk on RDC all day- so it depends on the organization.

Try to learn some basic languages if you have the spare time, start with VB .net.

Computer Sciences are computer sciences, not hacking. It's learning about how computers work, not how to hack them.

You should look for an Ethical Hacking course for White Hat Hacking or do a Computing course and learn Hacking in your spare time.

You'll never get a legit job as a 'White hat hacker', perhaps as a Security Analyst but only if you're extremely good (and I mean EXTREMELY good) that's going to be difficult when you could easily drift into being a SW dev with much less effort.

Being in IT is different for every job, personally I'm working part-time in an IT shop while studying and I work 7 hour days, almost always on my feet talking to people in the store. However I have a friend that works as a Tech and he just sits at a desk on RDC all day- so it depends on the organization.

Try to learn some basic languages if you have the spare time, start with VB .net.

Another example is my job

I'm a computer tech at a restaurant and go from maitence to repair, software installation, network administration, the list goes on....

Haha I know there isn't a "hacking school" but I thought maybe some computer science would teach computer security offensive and defensive(one of the community colleges that is close to me has a course like that)

So from what I've read so far is that a Security Analyst(white hat hacker) I was considering a career in web design but that seems kind of flat sometimes and nothing really to do outside of what you have to do for work. Atleast if you go into a career with computer security you can use that in everyday life, if you ever open a business you can use it for that. Use it for your own or a family's PC.

What is computer science in America?

Computer science in the UK is all about maths, algorithms and actually has fairly little to do with computers (at least modern computing). It is still a fairly generic degree how ever and could lead in to any field with in computing.

If you can get a computer science degree you can probably understand fairly complicated things I guess is the point.

Yeah from what I read up a little bit on Computer Forensics is that, a attetrny, or anyone, who needs you to dig up computer evidence, such as dig through a hardrive for a deleted picture of say a women naked. Then they would call you up(not you, most likely a corporation) and ask you to dig up the evidence, so that they can bring that person to court.... You then collect your 6 figure paycheck after a couple year of being employed.

correct me if I am wrong.

Well, from experience pretty much any idiot can go to University here in the UK, my computer degree was a 4 year course with a year working in industry.

The first year of my course was pretty much a complete waste of time, it may have been helpful to someone, but I was of the mindset if you don’t know what you want to be doing in computing by now then you’ve left it a little late. The first few lectures where appalling, having someone explain to me what a mouse was and what it did etc was a complete waste of time, the year progressed slowly however they did cover a whole host of different topic (none in any real depth) but I guess it gave people a little knowledge about Programming, Database Admin, System Architecture, Networking and Graphic Design. As you can see it was very vanilla and not what I was expecting.

The second year you started to “specialize” in your given field, however the difference between me (doing a Software Engineer degree) and that of someone doing Network Security was only one or two modules... six 1 hour lessons a week!

The third year I was sent out to work in the real world, and I learnt more this year than I did in my first, second and fourth year put together, I’ll probably never be able to reboot a live production server without notice ever again without reprimand!

The forth year was pretty much all software engineering, I found it boring and nothing was ever done in great depth, it was all Object Orientated and wasn’t very well structured. Some elements of it where nice, e.g. building Java beans and running them cross platform, however we did 2 hours of Coco? And that was it!

I appreciate everyone’s University experiences are going to be different, as we all learn differently and even the course material is going to vary. It’s difficult to tell you to go and learn a development language; I went to three open days at three different Universities, the first predicted the “long overdue death of Java” and all their modules made use of C++, one was a real mix of more mathematical languages and then there was the University I went to, which was heavily Java based with OO as a primary focus, a few months of VB.net, PHP, ASP.net but nothing of real value was taught during these few months, and those of us who had a background / interest in these language excelled while others struggled to get the help they needed during the weekly 1 hour tutorial time.

Computer Forensics is an area I am interested in and am considering going back to University to do a part time degree. I don't know how many job opportunities there are working in this field (Law enforcement is a given) however it’s something I feel I would like to do and also benefit from. “Another string to my bow” as my current boss says.

Now purple hat hacking is a completely different topic..

www.2programmers1compiler.com

white hat hacking = fail (Its not hacking it just using a computer)

career "hacking" = fail (it aint going to happen)

learn to program any language. Learn as much about computers as you can and dont worry about what hat your whereing

Programming isn't the most useful skill to know, I work with loads of QA and programmer types, and they are useless if there computer doesn't work 100% correctly. Setting up outlook to talk to an exchange server is to hard for them. If you want to be a hacker be a sysadmin, we wear all the hats at once.

I'd pretty much echo what VaKo said, I did Software Engineer but went and worked for an IT Consultancy. Found out a whole lot more about computing and networking working for them for a year than I had in some 20+ years that I'd been fiddling.

They also gave me exposure to coding database systems... you learn a lot from having an end user who knows nothing about your software.

I'll show you what I learned in my Comp Sci degree.

Yup, not a damn thing. It was basically all the concepts on how computers work, not so much on how to work WITH them. Sure, I picked up some new tricks in C++ I didn't know, but only because the guy next to me had the same boredom issue I did.

However, when I went to tech school for my CCNA, I learned a LOT. It will depend on your instructor, but it is very hands-on, and most instructors will let you push your limits in the tech schools. The staff at Uni are there to teach concept and theory, the tech professor is there to make sure you have the skills to do the job.

It's funny, even to this day a lot of my Comp Sci classmates are working jobs having nothing to do with IT, but the $2000 set of certs and credits I got from tech have pushed my career into the next level. Oh, and those same Comp Sci guys couldn't hack their way through an open AP. 2 of them still bring their comps to me for Windows re-installs.

Computer Forensics sounds like a nice area, but it is not like CSI or anything. It is usually the smartest guy on the local police department who goes in and looks for cp. The FBI/CIA/DHS have much higher standards, and thus much harder to get into.. It is a great field if you can find a job worth having, but dont think that if you get on in BFE Police Station that you will sit around analyzing computers all day.

Many stations, in the US, have less then 5 police officers so every person counts and there cant be one dedicated to computer fraud. If you decided to take this path, be sure to intern alot and go to some cons to get experience.

Computer Forensics sounds like a nice area, but it is not like CSI or anything. It is usually the smartest guy on the local police department who goes in and looks for cp. The FBI/CIA/DHS have much higher standards, and thus much harder to get into.. It is a great field if you can find a job worth having, but dont think that if you get on in BFE Police Station that you will sit around analyzing computers all day.

Many stations, in the US, have less then 5 police officers so every person counts and there cant be one dedicated to computer fraud. If you decided to take this path, be sure to intern alot and go to some cons to get experience.

I bet computer guys get the smallest guns :(

I bet computer guys get the smallest guns :(

You get a 9mm beretta while Sgt.Greggs over there gets a 50'cal desert eagle?

All modern western police forces use the 9mm as a standard sidearm, Beretta & Glock for the US police and the Sig 226/7 for the British armed police.

The idea being a somewhat less-than-lethal weapon as the average human can survive a shot from a 9mm handgun, whereas a shot from a 45 or 50cal would mean certain death.

Size doesn't matter if the calibre of the round is the same ;)

Besides, in the US you can just buy your own 45 to carry around xD

The only good way to work in computer security straight is to be a "black hat" then at some point (arrested a few to many times, you get a wife/family) you decide you can't do it any more. The other way is to go into sysadmin and at some point, once you have experience going into nothing but security.

I see way to many people about trying to sell themselves as pen-testers and security consultants and know fuck all, don't be one of those people.

The only good way to work in computer security straight is to be a "black hat" then at some point (arrested a few to many times, you get a wife/family) you decide you can't do it any more. The other way is to go into sysadmin and at some point, once you have experience going into nothing but security.

I see way to many people about trying to sell themselves as pen-testers and security consultants and know fuck all, don't be one of those people.

QFE

Don't forget the movie remake involving Tom Cruise as yourself.