good music manager/player for linux

RogueHart

answered! do not reply

sorry for the large size above. people seem to not read the post

ive tried amarok and it works on rare occasions but 90% of the time it just crashes and im tired of trying to deal with it. xmms is no longer available. xmms2 has multiple frontends but none that ive found so far that i like.

anything remotely like winamp or even something like amarok would be perfect but something that works is what i need.

I'm with RogueHart, Amarok does well.

You could try Songbird. I like that one too, and it did a decent job managing my tunes.

sparda said amarok rocks. im the one who asked the question lol. but ill check out songbird :) thanks

amarok works on occasion and when it does its the 2nd best music management software ive used next to winamp. but for the most part it crashes randomly under 3 circumstances all at the start of the program

1(most common). it starts playing but theres no sound. then the lil animation(sound bars at the bottom of the browser window) stop moving and the program stops responding.

2(second most common). i click play and it says its playing but its cycling through the songs without playing a sound. theres no delay it just flashes the names of the song and stops responding

3(only happened twice). it updates my collection and crashes halfway through.

edit:

songbird's interface and everything would be perfect but it wont play anything. i click play, the play/pause button shows pause as if its playing. but it stays at 0:00 and not a sound coming through.

sparda said amarok rocks. im the one who asked the question lol. but ill check out songbird :) thanks

amarok works on occasion and when it does its the 2nd best music management software ive used next to winamp. but for the most part it crashes randomly under 3 circumstances all at the start of the program

1(most common). it starts playing but theres no sound. then the lil animation(sound bars at the bottom of the browser window) stop moving and the program stops responding.

2(second most common). i click play and it says its playing but its cycling through the songs without playing a sound. theres no delay it just flashes the names of the song and stops responding

3(only happened twice). it updates my collection and crashes halfway through.

edit:

songbird's interface and everything would be perfect but it wont play anything. i click play, the play/pause button shows pause as if its playing. but it stays at 0:00 and not a sound coming through.

Sorry about that RogueHart....the effects of boozin early in the afternoon....tragic....

ok, lets break it down a lil, what OS/Distro are you using?

Sorry about that RogueHart....the effects of boozin early in the afternoon....tragic....

ok, lets break it down a lil, what OS/Distro are you using?

lol no problem. thought it was funny

i am using ubuntu studio 8.1

so far the only reliable music playing software ive had is xmms2 with 2 different frontends depending on how i feel like using it that day. but the interface is terrible and none of the frontends ive tried have any real sense of management. its just load up the files and play. which wouldnt be an issue if the 900+ songs werent in complete disorder

Well i used to use amarok but for some reason it gave some naming problems so i gave up on it and tried something else, now i use Rhytmbox and i love it. Maybe you should give it a try

rhythmbox has the same issue as songbird

Songbird or VLC

neither. both were suggested already

to those who read this. solution found. a new problem came up though