sharing files over Wan

zebrafx

Hi guys, long time viewer but never went to the forums here, figure I pick ya brains about a problem I want to solve.

My friend has a small company maybe about 10 people together in two separate offices. He has like around 8 people in 1 and 2 people in another office. He wants to be able to share his files on a server on the 8 person location with the 2 person location. They have like cable modem and dsl etc. Normal speeds like 1.5 down 700 k up. The files they want to share is basically doc files and maybe small pictures.

What do you guys think is the best way to "share" the network on the cheap.

Thanks for reading!

Hi guys, long time viewer but never went to the forums here, figure I pick ya brains about a problem I want to solve.

My friend has a small company maybe about 10 people together in two separate offices. He has like around 8 people in 1 and 2 people in another office. He wants to be able to share his files on a server on the 8 person location with the 2 person location. They have like cable modem and dsl etc. Normal speeds like 1.5 down 700 k up. The files they want to share is basically doc files and maybe small pictures.

What do you guys think is the best way to "share" the network on the cheap.

Thanks for reading!

http://www.microsoft.com/sharepoint/default.mspx. For the love of god, make sure you put that thing on a self signed SSL certificate and install the certificate authority (you) in their browser.

Alternatively setup sftp.

http://www.microsoft.com/sharepoint/default.mspx. For the love of god, make sure you put that thing on a self signed SSL certificate and install the certificate authority (you) in their browser.

Alternatively setup sftp.

Hah..

I was going to say that, But I figured I'd get some anti-Microsoft Apple fanboy replying.

To be honest a VPN would probally work best, you could configure a tunnel between to capable routers, have the remote workers use a 2nd subnet and they will be able to access all the resources of the first office. Sharepoint is nice, but it can be a bit complex. You may wish to look at a hosted solution rather than in-house if you decide to go with that though. A VPN setup could be done for free.

Couldn't you just designate a box for a server and just save the files there, but don't connect it to the internet and keep it wired and it should be virtually safe unless someone broke in?

You would still need to have a means to get the files to the 2nd office. So, in that respect, they would still need to create a VPN connection, so the remote office becomes part of the local network.

I looked into a Sharepoint system. It looks like it can get a bit expensive and complex to setup and train. It might be a better choice for a larger company with larger resources and $$.

The VPN looks like it can be more simple? Anybody have any real life experiences with setting up a VPN and running one. I am curious how well the free ones work.

I looked into a Sharepoint system. It looks like it can get a bit expensive and complex to setup and train. It might be a better choice for a larger company with larger resources and $$.

The VPN looks like it can be more simple? Anybody have any real life experiences with setting up a VPN and running one. I am curious how well the free ones work.

Have a look at setting up 2 x86 PC's both running PFsense and using an IPsec tunnel to link them together.

Office 1 LAN => PFsense -> ADSL modem <------Interwebs-------> Cable Modem <- PFsense <= Office 2 LAN

If that is a little hard then a pptp server at the main office. When they need the files they can connect to the VPN and download them, then disconnect. Again use a x86 PC running PFsense as your router, you can disable the NAT on the current routers.

There are a bunch of way to do this, ill try list as many as i know with the pros and cons:

1) FTP (File Transfer Protocol)

Pros: Easy to setup, fast, easy to use, cross platform.

Cons: Not very secure.

2) SFTP (Secure FTP)

Pros: Secure, fast, cross platform

Cons: Not as easy to setup as normal FTP

3)VPN (Open-VPN)

Pros: VERY Secure, easy to use after its setup, cross platform, fast

Cons: Not easy to setup

4)VPN (hamachi)

Pros: Easy to setup, and use, very secure, free and pro version available, cross platform but OSx/Linux arent the easiest to use

Cons: Slow file transfer but if its just small .doc files this wont matter much

5) SharePoint

Pros: Easy to use, setup, fast

Cons: Not secure by default, not cross platform friendly

Out of all of them i'd say try hamachi. easiest to setup and use (i am assuming the employees are not good with computers).