Linux Conversion

sirBAMF

Don't get me started on Debian..

Red hat is where the big boys go to play.

RHEL - Developer Support

CentOS - Stable

Fedora - Bleeding edge

Pick one.

Don't get me started on Debian..

Red hat is where the big boys go to play.

RHEL - Developer Support

CentOS - Stable

Fedora - Bleeding edge

Pick one.

actually gentoo and LFS is where the big boys play.

RHEL is identical to CentOS and is pretty stable long as you dont add your own repositories to yum

Same with ubuntu and debain. its pretty stable long as you dont add unstable repositories to apt

fedora is red hat too just the unstable releases

I could never understand why someone would recommend something like Debian, Fedora, and (especially) Slackware to someone who is new to Linux. I've been using Linux for many years now and I still have problems with those distros. Ubuntu is the epitome of ease. It's the only distro worth recommending to those who just want to get their work done, and would rather not spend too much time tinkering with settings.

http://distrowatch.com/

I could never understand why someone would recommend something like Debian, Fedora, and (especially) Slackware to someone who is new to Linux. I've been using Linux for many years now and I still have problems with those distros. Ubuntu is the epitome of ease. It's the only distro worth recommending to those who just want to get their work done, and would rather not spend too much time tinkering with settings.

http://distrowatch.com/

actually those distro's are just as good as ubuntu just easier for the windows convert. building linux from scratch or a minimal install like debian is a great learning process.

Ubuntu is prone to breaking due to the level of user interaction,

If you need to compile applications for your environment you'll have greater control over everything compared to the automated RPM/DEB etc

Of course this is my opinion,

So you're going to refuse this.

actually those distro's are just as good as ubuntu just easier for the windows convert. building linux from scratch or a minimal install like debian is a great learning process.

Not everyone has the time or the need to learn all of the ins and outs of their operating system. Sure, they should know some basics, but they really don't need to know how to compile programs from source, or add repositories through the command line. An operating system should help us get our work done. It shouldn't give us more work to do.

Ubuntu is prone to breaking due to the level of user interaction, If you need to compile applications for your environment you'll have greater control over everything compared to the automated RPM/DEB etc

I installed Ubuntu on my mother's computer and she uses it with no problem. :lol:

• 3 weeks later...

Hey I'm thinking of dualbooting Ubuntu and CentOS thanks to you guys :)

CentOS has a total of 6 different ISOs though and I'd rather not burn 6 different CDs. Can CentOS be installed from Ubuntu (which I already have installed) from virtual mounts?

Hey I'm thinking of dualbooting Ubuntu and CentOS thanks to you guys :)

CentOS has a total of 6 different ISOs though and I'd rather not burn 6 different CDs. Can CentOS be installed from Ubuntu (which I already have installed) from virtual mounts?

Download the DVD iso then.

Not everyone has the time or the need to learn all of the ins and outs of their operating system. Sure, they should know some basics, but they really don't need to know how to compile programs from source, or add repositories through the command line.

I installed Ubuntu on my mother's computer and she uses it with no problem. :lol:

It took me about 4 months to learn the ins and outs of my debian server, and once you know one flavor of linux, it's really not that hard to apply what you learn to another. Also, if you want bleeding edge software, you could always just build it yourself in about 3 or 4 short commands, instead of using whatever package management system your OS uses by default.

An operating system should help us get our work done. It shouldn't give us more work to do.

Linux is a very versatile OS, and it does have its rewards when you put more work into it. Putting a GUI on a headless server is a waste of resources, but learning to use a command line to complete the same task can save you some serious time and resources. I probably waste more time clicking around windows to get things done than i do typing commands, but that's not the point. The point is that if you learn how to use and maintain a linux system, you'll be getting much more from it than you would expect.

Linux really isn't an easy to use OS, despite the headway thats been made in the last few years. Its only when its completely locked down like an appliance OS that most newbies can use it. So yes, if you want to learn how to use Linux your going to have to sit down and learn things like the architechturual concepts and how to use the command line.

Just jump in!

The water isn't as cold as you believe it is..

Don't try Ubuntu or OpenSUSE..

Not gonna help you a bit.

Gonna recommend RHEL and it's variants.

Just jump in!

The water isn't as cold as you believe it is..

Don't try Ubuntu or OpenSUSE..

Not gonna help you a bit.

Gonna recommend RHEL and it's variants.

I don't think I understand your aversion to Debian-based GNU/Linux. My CentOS runs Gnome just like my Ubuntu (well, not true, I use Fluxbox, but I'm pretty sure both are Gnome by default). I think yum is a lot slower than apt-get. And don't get me started on rpm-hell.

As for saying Ubuntu isn't where the big boys play, whynot? I chose Ubuntu for learning to write kernel modules because of its easy bundling my kernel as a package to put on other Ubuntu systems.

Difficult does not mean hardcore.

For the topic at hand, clearly I recommend Ubuntu. But I don't recommend dual-booting (I hate having to reboot jus to get to my other OS), just use a virtual machine.