what was your first linux distro?

RogueHart

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My fist Linux attempt was Slackware. It took me 2 weeks to figure out how to boot the cd on an old 486. once I finally figured out sbootmgr and burned through a case of flippies, I couldn't have been happier. Now, with Ubuntu and KDE on all our university boxes, I am missing the simple Fluxbox. All in all, it was a bitch to add programs to the system until you got the hang of it. Even then, hardware support at the time sucked, so I ran VESA graphics and through the 10 mb ethernet nic.

Requardless, I compiled my first kernel and had a hell lot of fun with it.

Then I did a stage one Gentoo install... That was fun... NOT. But I did learn A LOT, so I'll mention i

t.

Today with Ubuntu, I miss some of the control I had with my init scripts (I delved under the GUI in ubuntu yet.)

And I must say, OH how WINE has gotten SOOO much better these last few years.

• 1 month later...
Off topic, but when you decide to install something not in the repositories do you a. download the .deb or .lzm OR b. compile from source... I know at first i was all about finding .debs and what not, but the more i played around the more i found myself doing make install.

Umm, well, what are you running? What you download depends on your distro. If its Debian or any variant thereof you want the .deb. If it is a redhat variant you want the .rpm. You can always compile from source but then again you can always do a lot of painful things for no reason, like shove a pocket knife through your big toenail or hit yourself with a hammer.

first distro ever used: Linux Mandrake 6 (bought from walmart... I BOUGHT LINUX!! hahaha. so funny to look back on)

played with it. installed it a thousand times. screwed alot of stuff up, and reload again. gave it to a friend when i finally said screw it cause i never could get everything to work.

did this with multiple distros for a few years.

First distro luv: pclos

Current distro luv: Linux Mint, and a smidgen of luv (not much since still really crappy support for my wifi card in laptop) 4 the ubuntu 8.10

Knoppix.

It was a live CD, hope that counts.

First tried Red Hat 5 back in 1998. (That didn't go so well)

Tried one of the earlier Knoppix CDs ... Then finally installed Suse 8.0.

I used Suse for quite some time but really didn't "understand" how everything worked.

I compiled Gentoo from source .. (that was a process, but a great learning experience !!)

After that I settled on some nice middleground with Slackware.

Since then I've tried too many distros to count

currently running Xubuntu 8.04

my first encounter with linux was storm linux,installed it from a cd from a book from the library,never really new what linux was at the time,if i remember correctly it was same time as corel linux was out,whenever that was! but my first real install was slackware but now its fedora or backtrack3 for me :)

Umm, well, what are you running? What you download depends on your distro. If its Debian or any variant thereof you want the .deb. If it is a redhat variant you want the .rpm. You can always compile from source but then again you can always do a lot of painful things for no reason, like shove a pocket knife through your big toenail or hit yourself with a hammer.

If it isnt in the repository it can be a bitch to get it to run. i prefer compiling from source then using rpm because you can see why it fucked and and how to fix it.