Jasager v2 rc1

I'm happy to release Jasager v2 rc 1.

I'm going to start by saying that this isn't a full release, there is the potential of things being broken and you having to get your hands dirty to fix them. If you don't want to fiddle with things then hang on for the full release, hopefully it will be out very soon.

New features:

Module system - I'm going to document this fully on my site but basically you create your script which obeys a couple of simple rules and drop it into the scripts directory. It will then appear in the connected clients drop down list. As an example of what can be done I've created two script, echo which just echos out what was passed in and portscan which will do a TCP port scan against the connected clients IP. If they haven't got an IP yet then you will get an error. All output is sent to the log file but there is a slight problems here, as the log file shown on screen is reversed so you always see the latest entry at the top you get the log output in reverse order. I thought about dumping it to the log file backwards so that it came out in the interface the right way round but didn't like that option so it is as it is for now, if anyone can suggest a better way to do it I'm happy to listen to suggestions.

Moved log file - I moved the log file from /karma/log to /tmp, this will prevent filling the flash

Used the wlan led to indicate whether Karma is enabled or not - This requires a new dependency, kmod-gpio, you can get this from my site, see the links below. Unfortunately this package has a bug in it so the module isn't loaded on boot at it should be. To fix this, after you've installed it you need to run

echo proc_gpio > /etc/modules.d/80-gpio

MAC address filtering - I've added the standard madwifi MAC address filtering to the interface. It is very similar to the SSID black/white listing but it has 3 states, off, black and white. I can't find a way to request the current state from the drivers so I've had to store the state in a temporary file, it should cause any problems as long as you don't start setting the state by hand, if you do then you know enough to not worry about the interface.

I've also tidied up the code a bit.

Any comments, bug reports, feedback please let me know. If you want to know the interface for the modules nag me for it otherwise I'll get distracted and not get round to writing it.

Enjoy

Files:

2.0 rc1 Tarball

2.0 rc1 Package

kmod_gpio

I've only had one bug report and that was that I'd forgotten to increase the version number so unless I hear anything else I'll release this as a full v.2.0 next week, as soon as I get chance to update the install instructions on my site and write the spec for adding your own modules.

• 2 weeks later...

I successfully installed, tested, and had fun with v2. I'm not sure what kinda sick mojo you worked under the hood Robin but this version is solid. I showed it off on episode 412 in conjunction with Ferret, Hamster, and ICS/DHCP the easy way. I'll post a more detailed writeup of how I was able to get it going later but basically offloading the DHCP responsibilities to the master client did the trick for me using tftpd32 of all things.

First off, if anyone wants to donate me a G1 I'll happily play with it and give full support to that person.

For the upgrade, you will be able to just untar the 2.1 tarball in the root then reboot, should work fine. Something I have just thought of though, the post install script in the package creates the symlink which is needed to autostart Jasager, the tarball doesn't. If you are using the tarball to upgrade then the link is in place and you'll be ok, if you are going for a new install you'll need to put the link in yourself, just run:

ln -s /etc/init.d/jasager /etc/rc.d/S91jasager

I'll add this to my install notes on the site

First off, if anyone wants to donate me a G1 I'll happily play with it and give full support to that person.

For the upgrade, you will be able to just untar the 2.1 tarball in the root then reboot, should work fine. Something I have just thought of though, the post install script in the package creates the symlink which is needed to autostart Jasager, the tarball doesn't. If you are using the tarball to upgrade then the link is in place and you'll be ok, if you are going for a new install you'll need to put the link in yourself, just run:

ln -s /etc/init.d/jasager /etc/rc.d/S91jasager

I'll add this to my install notes on the site

Good call. I've updated the wiki.