Defragment with less than 1% space?

RandomClown

Hello!

A TrueCrypt volume wont become fragmented since the contents overwrite the TC file, & not out side the TC file, right?

[assuming that TrueCrypt file is in 1 fragment]

My guess.

I have a 3.75GB TrueCrypt file in my thumb drive, leaving me with 26MB of free space left.

It is just a little fragmented from copying it in.

I tried a few free defrag programs & they all cant do it.

Is there anything that can use what ever space is provided & do a defrag? [assuming I dont care how long it takes]

thanks.

PS: I read in a few places that defraging is tough against the HDD.

Will it really kill my HDD?

I am wondering if it is true since there are defraging programs that auto-defrags when your computer is idle.

Hello!

A TrueCrypt volume wont become fragmented since the contents overwrite the TC file, & not out side the TC file, right?

[assuming that TrueCrypt file is in 1 fragment]

My guess.

I have a 3.75GB TrueCrypt file in my thumb drive, leaving me with 26MB of free space left.

It is just a little fragmented from copying it in.

I tried a few free defrag programs & they all cant do it.

Is there anything that can use what ever space is provided & do a defrag? [assuming I dont care how long it takes]

thanks.

PS: I read in a few places that defraging is tough against the HDD.

Will it really kill my HDD?

I am wondering if it is true since there are defragging programs that auto-defrags when your computer is idle.

fragmentation has no effect on flash memory and defragging a flash drive will just use up read/write cycles and shorten the life of the drive

mmm k

Will it also murder the hard drives?

for standard hard drives, it is hard to tell if it does anything bad, the platters have a seemingly unlimited read/ write cycles, but the rest of the drive does go through some ware and tare when reading and writing which a disk defrag does a lot of

but a heavily fragmented drive will require a lot more work of the actuator in the drive which also causes some ware and tare

overall it is just good for improving performance but it doesn't seem to effect the life of the drive like it would with a flash drive

ohh one last thing to add.

When I defraged my thumb drive, the icons to files appeared immediately after opening a directory.

Before defrag, it would load for a few minutes [maybe 2-3?].

Fortunatly it didn't seem to over work my thumb drive after the 1st defrag.

Only like a 5 second defrag if I add more files to the true crypt.