extreme vista problem

RogueHart

i just booted into vista for the first time since i installed ubuntu. my problem is that its no longer loading anything. all my programs are installed but arent working right.

my wallpaper is missing, my desktop doesnt have the files it did before, all of my bookmarks are missing from firefox, and winamp wont run for long. everything says its the first run.

im thinking it has to do with the fact that the drive used to be the c: drive. but now its the d: drive.

can anyone tell me how to fix this? i need some serious help

Did you use Wubi to install ubuntu or did you do a manuel install ?

Do you have a C: Drive at all ?

Or is it not seen because it is now a linux partion?

Did you have a backup drive on the D: drive before installing ubuntu?

This Information might help figure out what happened

Why is it now the D drive? Ubuntu does not use lettering systems like windows, it uses unix style, like /dev/hda /dev/hda1 etc.

What is on the C drive and how is your pc set to boot from the bios. You could try making the D drive the first bootable drive either by way of the BIOS or F10 on boot and selecting which drive to boot from, and then it should reclaim itself as the C drive. Not sure if this will give you your files back though. If they are there, you can try something like Handy Recovery (1.0 is still a freeware version and should work fine on vista) or PC Investigators FileRecovery. Both have saved me from losing a lot of files from formatted and damaged HDD's and flash cards.

Not sure if this will help..

http://articles.networktechs.com/printer-47.html

Give it a try though.

You may need to change the variables %APPDATA% also, I'm not sure how but a good Google search will help you there.

okay sorry. heres the info

origionally there was 2 partitions for vista. a 10gig recovery and then the c: drive. i removed the recovery drive and moved the c: to the front(far left in g partition editor) and created the ubuntu partition with the recovery drive + an extra 5 gigs i took from the main drive.

i figured it was no longer c because it was the first drive instead of the second. so i booted into the g partition editor. i shrank the vista drive by 7 megs. then i moved it to the right and made a 7meg partition before the vista partition. but now vista wont even boot. i select it from the boot menu and it reboots the computer

not sure. but judging from how you normally post and the content of that topic i assume your saying i screwed up the partitioning and ill have to start from scratch? but if thats the case then why are the files on the vista partition are working just fine (the ones i can run under ubuntu that is)

Any formatting and partition editing should only be done AFTER you have backed up your important files. You never play with fire unless you are ready to get burned. If you had a backup of all your important stuff first, then you wouldn't be here in this thread right now trying to recover from your mistakes.

I'd say try and use some recovery tools to just get back what is missing at this point, and then move it to a back up drive(preferably external media) and then reformat the drives properly with everything setup as needed, copy back over the files from the back up drive and be done with it.

Any formatting and partition editing should only be done AFTER you have backed up your important files. You never play with fire unless you are ready to get burned. If you had a backup of all your important stuff first, then you wouldn't be here in this thread right now trying to recover from your mistakes.

I'd say try and use some recovery tools to just get back what is missing at this point, and then move it to a back up drive(preferably external media) and then reformat the drives properly with everything setup as needed, copy back over the files from the back up drive and be done with it.

none of the files are lost. i can still get them all through ubuntu studio. the problem is that vista itself wont boot.

@sparda. ill reformat the 7meg partition to fat instead of ntfs

You might need to use something like grub to dual boot ubuntu and vista if you screwed up ntldr or the windows master boot record.

If you can access the files then I would backup all important files, reformat and reinstall each to their own partitions, then copy the files back over. Whatever you decide, make sure you back them up before messing around with the partitions. You might end up losing the files alltogether if you are not carefull.

You might need to use something like grub to dual boot ubuntu and vista if you screwed up ntldr or the windows master boot record.

If you can access the files then I would backup all important files, reformat and reinstall each to their own partitions, then copy the files back over. Whatever you decide, make sure you back them up before messing around with the partitions. You might end up losing the files alltogether if you are not carefull.

already have grub installed. installed it with ubuntu studio

You should try booting the vista DVD (if you have it), believe it or not, the auto repair function deals very well with partition problems and it doesn't touch the MBR, so your linux installation is safe.

ill have to do that. i found the dvd again today so ill do it tomorrow.

Have you tried to change partitions to it's original order from Control Panel\System and Maintenance\Administrative Tools\Computer Management > Disk Management by right clicking on partition and choosing Change Drive Letters and Paths...

i cant boot into vista. no control panel access.

i cant change the partitions back since ive got data on them.

MBR=Master Boot Record,

And I believe you mean ext3 not etc :P

well i feel stupid lol.