ISP tracking me

Codedninja-PHP

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

hmm cox did this to me and they shutdown my internet for 24 hours but my mom called and got it back up.

I was in lots of trouble :( lol

umm... some ways to prevent this are: PeerGaurdian 2 from Phoenix Labs here (http://phoenixlabs.org/pg2/). Its free and it blocks known bad tracker ips but you can never block every bad ip so I don't use it too often. Another option, that I use my self, is to try to find the file you're looking for on a free filehosting server (rapidshare, megaupload, medaifire, etc.). I haven't been caught since the first time but supposedly after 3 times they take legal action and it IS in the TOS so be CAREFUL!!!

P.S. STAY AWAY FROM ANY NEW RELEASES!!! Thats where they really get you :angry:

hmm cox did this to me and they shutdown my internet for 24 hours but my mom called and got it back up.

umm... some ways to prevent this are: PeerGaurdian 2 from Phoenix Labs here (http://phoenixlabs.org/pg2/). Its free and it blocks known bad tracker ips but you can never block every bad ip so I don't use it too often. Another option, that I use my self, is to try to find the file you're looking for on a free filehosting server (rapidshare, megaupload, medaifire, etc.). I haven't been caught since the first time but supposedly after 3 times they take legal action and it IS in the TOS so be CAREFUL!!!

P.S. STAY AWAY FROM ANY NEW RELEASES!!! Thats where they really get you :angry:

Yea i download the game spore which was easy to beat

wow sucks...ya same thing happened to me i downloaded for 6 months night most but day too.... then soon i got a nice letter from isp.....i stopped very quick b/c yes u do have 3 times untill legal action is taken but i'll be honest...i didnt want to be sued for some crazy amount of money.... like some pple said just try and find it on a filehosting sever...rapdshare...etc seems to work

Encryption on uTorrent should keep them from being able to see into the file, but its not them who send the messages directly. They get contacted by one of the file sharers who happens to be monitoring the torrents for people downloading them. They are oftent the ones who start them, sending fake files and harvesting the IP addresses to conact ISP's with.

Honestly, you get what you deserve when downloading pirated material, although in the case of Spore, which I have never played and never will because of the DRM bullshit, I say anyone who torrents it should do so just for the simple fact of their DRM that takes over your PC when you install it. I hate companies who think they have the right to put shit like that on your pc, especially when it can't be removed(easily) short of reformatting your PC.

When setting encryption in uTorrent, be sure to use the drop down and select "forced" as well as leave legacy connections unchecked. Also, be sure to use a site known for filtering fake content as well as an up to date ipfilter.dat file to be sure not to conenct to known media tracking companies and government sites.

emulepawcio.sourceforge.net/ipfilter.dat

Copy and paste the link, as it does not like hotlinking to download it.

well my father has been downloading shit from way back in 2002 and we still dont have any warnings or notices

i made him use peer gaurdian and he uses encrytion its mostly movies and roms/emualtors as for spore...its obvius why you were caught ea is starting to work more on the security of thier games more and more i belive dead-space also has very high DRM software

This thread = weak noob sauce. Im sorry, i usually do not troll or flame, but seriously?

You download your mom gets sued by the MPAA and she has to pay..is that really fair to her? why not mow a yard?

Lets not incriminate our selfs shall we, or get a rooted.

Yea i download the game spore which was easy to beat

The only good thing i read in this thread.

Honestly, you get what you deserve when downloading pirated material[sic]

except for the obvious fact that its piracy, why would you wanna download something so big. Maybe you guys have faster connection so it doesnt affect you but with me if i downloaded files like a gb or more it will take me days. I dont see why i should keep my pc on for so long just to download some game that i can go buy.

Maybe they give a THREE TIME warning for people like you coz they know you just wont listen the fisrt time. Sorry if im being a little hard on you guys but seriously if you get a warning maybe you should just stop

There is a service, not sure on it's status, but it is one you pay for, that has all your traffic redirected through canada, where they have some pretty tight privacy laws, and so your shielded in some legal way... [citation needed and I can't remember it's name]

And BT sent me a letter... :-( also spore, so I think that copy is, well spiked to say the least

• 1 month later...

I don't think Protocol Encryption protects you completely. My understanding is that the encryption only ciphers the TCP header so the ISP can't detect and throttle packets with the BT protocol. THey can still see your activity from the BT tracker. This is why you should use a private tracker or a public tracker (and client) that supports TLS/HTTPS

Peerguardian will only block MPAA/RIAA agencies that masquerade on BT and P2P swarms. It will not block your ISP.

I don't think Protocol Encryption protects you completely. My understanding is that the encryption only ciphers the TCP header so the ISP can't detect and throttle packets with the BT protocol. THey can still see your activity from the BT tracker. This is why you should use a private tracker or a public tracker (and client) that supports TLS/HTTPS

Peerguardian will only block MPAA/RIAA agencies that masquerade on BT and P2P swarms. It will not block your ISP.

I don't think Protocol Encryption protects you completely. My understanding is that the encryption only ciphers the TCP header so the ISP can't detect and throttle packets with BT protocol headers. THey can still see your activity from the BT tracker. This is why you should use a private tracker or a public tracker (and client) that supports TLS/HTTPS