trying to setup a linux partition

RogueHart

im trying to find a guide to partitioning my hdd without completely erasing my data. i want to partition off about 15gigs of my hdd for a linux distro. i wont need more than that since ill just be doing development and coding. but i have no idea how i would go about that. ive got ubuntu burned to a cd and ready to use. can anyone help me out?

im trying to dual boot vista and linux(trying ubuntu first)

You want to create another cd containing GParted (gnu partition editor). You can resize your existing partitions (as long as you have 15g free space), and create the required parts. Just be careful, during the Ubuntu install there will be a question as to how you want to partition, do it manually and select the partitions you created previously. You can even create a mountpoint (directory where you can access your Windows partition/files from within Ubuntu), from that dialog.

It's not difficult, just be careful to read the prompts carefully before you click through.

Good luck.

(Just an FYI, you want to create two partitions in addition to your Fat32/NTFS, a linux native (preferably EXT2 or EXT3) and a swap partition which should be twice as large as how much RAM your system has - 512Mb of RAM, Swap Partition of 1Gb).

im trying to find a guide to partitioning my hdd without completely erasing my data. i want to partition off about 15gigs of my hdd for a linux distro. i wont need more than that since ill just be doing development and coding. but i have no idea how i would go about that. ive got ubuntu burned to a cd and ready to use. can anyone help me out?

im trying to dual boot vista and linux(trying ubuntu first)

See if ubuntu has Gparted, or some other partition editor.

Unmount your HHD and run the partition editor.

Resize the partition.

format the space where you want ubuntu to sit on your hhd

Run the Installer

When asked where to install choose the space you just made and let ubuntu set up the rest of the partitions.

Your done.

See if ubuntu has Gparted, or some other partition editor.

Unmount your HHD and run the partition editor.

Resize the partition.

If you'd rather do it from the Ubuntu Cd, as DingleBerries suggests, from the command-line:

sudo umount /dev/hda1

Should unmount your HDD. If you use the gparted live iso, you won't have to bother with that.

If you'd rather do it from the Ubuntu Cd, as DingleBerries suggests, from the command-line:

sudo umount /dev/hda1

Should unmount your HDD. If you use the gparted live iso, you won't have to bother with that.

Did we all forget that Ubuntu has a very convenient "Auto Resize and auto partition" button?

Did we all forget that Ubuntu has a very convenient "Auto Resize and auto partition" button?

now i just hope i can do this without screwing up lol. ive got a lot of work on this new laptop already that i can neither backup or afford to lose. hopefully by the days end ill be dual booting vista and ubuntu

i guess ill learn a lot today lol. i used to think partitioning was like creating a virtual drive. so i could treat it as a seperate os and act as if the laptop had 2 hdd

thanks guys. after trying ubuntu(had no idea it was a live cd as well 0.o) im going to look at a few more distros before i settle on a specific one. trying to find something geared more towards programming, video and image editing, ect, ect. just a general development platform lol

Ubuntu is fairly generic. You can make it do any thing you want... like any distribution.

i did only give it a quick look. after ive got a lil more time ill check it out again but for now i have to go lol.