a hak.5 linux distro

silentknight329

• 1 month later...

There are some archlinux like livecds that have some of what hak5 distro would need.

Chaox is a live environment based on Arch Linux focusing on pentesting and forensics.

Chaox-ng

Archpwd is a dvd iso based on archlinux for pentesting also. Its more like backtrack but based on archlinux. Its also based on modified scripts that i made for my archiso-live project.

Archpwd

I hope this helps.

• 1 month later...

honestly..this is pointless just take slax and make some modules put em on a cd/usb done!

its the easiest way its how backtrack does everything ...ill start on something but really all ill post is a module no point in posting the entire image

• 3 months later...

TBH I think its more a case that there isn't a need for this. Running a distro takes a shit load of time, effort and skill, and so far no one with the right combination of skills has stepped up to the plate.

I honestly think the best bet for making this happen is to take BackTrack 4, re-skin it, maybe switch to Gnome and call it HakTrack. Then it could be released as a joke.

TBH I think its more a case that there isn't a need for this. Running a distro takes a shit load of time, effort and skill, and so far no one with the right combination of skills has stepped up to the plate.

I honestly think the best bet for making this happen is to take BackTrack 4, re-skin it, maybe switch to Gnome and call it HakTrack. Then it could be released as a joke.

I agree, especially with Backtrack/Knoppix STD/whatever else available. It's actually fairly easy to make a simple distro using a tool called "Remastersys" -- but it does take a good amount of time to get everything installed and working the way you want it to even with a tool to do some of the work for you.

honestly..this is pointless just take slax and make some modules put em on a cd/usb done!

its the easiest way its how backtrack does everything ...ill start on something but really all ill post is a module no point in posting the entire image

My archiso-live project does just that. Its uses slax initrd as a middle root filesystem to emulate slax with archlinux kernel. (for the most part) This is so it works with archlinux kernel since it only its not compiled for slax scripts.

Also my method works with newer kernels 2.6.29 and up. The slax scripts don't work with kernel 2.6.29 and up from what i have heard. I also added findiso boot option so you can use it with grub2 on your multipass. There is another boot option called modpath that will allow you to bind a folder on your hard drive or usb stick so you can mount modules in it. This is good when using it from cd or using it on your multipass usb stick.

The arch2lzm scripts will help you with making the modules. Here is the code for making the modules:

pacman -Sy
arch2lzm pkg packagename

I hope this helps everyone.

This just sounds so much like all thouse other "great" ideas like: HackUbuntu or Hax0runtu or what have you, they all end up trying to imitate BackTrack in a way or another (plus aparently everyone thinks building stuff on Ubuntu is a wonderful idea) anyways no reason to re-invent the wheel.

But sure you can and you should customize your own operaiting system to your liking and sure you can start from Ubuntu if you want to but Back Track really already has everything and you can just build it up if you see need.

Xenomorph150, you can't really say that in all I think Back Track has more useres than Hak5 has fans - you can't diminish the work Remote-Exploits.org's guys have done with Back Tracks.

Moonlit has a good point here.

The thing is, would you be bothered to do it?

More to the point, do you have any idea of the knowledge you would need to do this.

I think moonlit just summarizes what everyone is thinking.

There are plenty of distro's out there,

If you do feel passionate about embarking on this project, may i recommend:

http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/

I suppose if you really wanted to you could take ubuntu and change the look a little bit. Slap a few Hak5 backgrounds in there, change the icons, change the login screen to the default debian, and presto, hak5 linux. I'd use Ubuntu 8.04 LTS as a base.

Pretty pointless though.