wireless router blocked, how to use mac cloning

chadillac

I live off compose in apartments that are managed by the college including the internet. To get on he internet your computer needs must pass some requirements using Cisco software that checks to see if you have the latest windows update, latest definitions for my anti-virus software, and other things. Once im past the check i am able to use the internet but i have a desk top and a laptop and want to use my Netgear wireless router but the college does not allow students to use them because they can not monitor them or something. The schools tech guy said there is a way to use a wireless router but he could not tell me, he did say something about MAC cloning or something. I looked into it and found how to clone my desktops MAC address to my router and use the router for a very short time, maybe 3 minutes then it does not work anymore. FYI: After the three minutes it allows me to the internet but does not let me past the universities log on site to download the Cisco software which i already have on both machines, i think it has something to do with that software, but i do know it is possible.

is there a better way of getting past this so i can use my wireless router in my apartment? can anyone help me, thank you! -Chad

There is a post like this in a subtopic on the forums. I'd find it, but I can tell you haven't even begun to research what you are talking about.. Here is a step in the right direction:

Software- Cisco Clean Access Agent

OS's that do not need it: Mac, Linux

Wireless router should be set up in access point mode.

There is a post like this in a subtopic on the forums. I'd find it, but I can tell you haven't even begun to research what you are talking about.. Here is a step in the right direction:

Software- Cisco Clean Access Agent

OS's that do not need it: Mac, Linux

Wireless router should be set up in access point mode.

yea, your probably right about me not researching it enough but that's why I'm here. for you guys to help.:) I guess now i can research how to set up in access point mode. thanks for that, any more info would help! thank you

-Chad

My University also disallows the broadcasting of wireless access points. Probably to avoid students using your internet instead of theirs. Either way what you're proposing sounds good but I can't imagine that the Universities network would let your router work in the way you've described due to NAT, DMZ & IP assignment issues.

Personally I don't have to use Cisco clean access agent as my Mac can use the web-based login panel.

I have a copy of Vista x64 that automatically passes all CCNA validation checks without even having the checks done, possibly to do with the way my copy of Vista avoids Win Genuine Validation checks, but that's neither here nor there.

I'd recommend that if you haven't already disable DHCP on your router & ensure that it's set to act as a bridge/hub not as a modem (Ensure the ADSL modem is turned off).

My University also disallows the broadcasting of wireless access points. Probably to avoid students using your internet instead of theirs. Either way what you're proposing sounds good but I can't imagine that the Universities network would let your router work in the way you've described due to NAT, DMZ & IP assignment issues.

Personally I don't have to use Cisco clean access agent as my Mac can use the web-based login panel.

I have a copy of Vista x64 that automatically passes all CCNA validation checks without even having the checks done, possibly to do with the way my copy of Vista avoids Win Genuine Validation checks, but that's neither here nor there.

I'd recommend that if you haven't already disable DHCP on your router & ensure that it's set to act as a bridge/hub not as a modem (Ensure the ADSL modem is turned off).

Are you running Vista in Parallels? Because that may be the reason