Openwrt client mode

I dont have the time to test this tonight or tomorrow probably wont get to it until Sunday but i wanted to get my theory down in writing before i completely forget it...and if someone has the time perhaps they can try it.

http://wiki.openwrt.org/OpenWrtDocs/Kamikaze/ClientMode

Im thinking that since you can create a virtual wifi connection in the webif interface that you can create a virtual interface and config it in client mode per the above instructions and maybe route the traffic from the karma networks through the virtual wifi connection to the real AP...

Anyone with more wifi knowledge have any thoughts on this? Would this work on one fon or would 2 be required and connected via eth port? I know this will work in eliminating the need for a laptop running ICS just not sure if it can be done on the one device or if it will require twice the hardware (still would be under 100 bucks USD)

It does work but you'd have the problem of sharing the wifi interface between sending and receiving. Darren has his setup like this.

I'd prefer the option of taping two together with one as client and one as AP so you get dedicated radio on each so you can have them both on different channels.

It does work but you'd have the problem of sharing the wifi interface between sending and receiving. Darren has his setup like this.

I'd prefer the option of taping two together with one as client and one as AP so you get dedicated radio on each so you can have them both on different channels.

The Fon has 2 Antenna ports on it (well potential for 2 if you soldier another on but there is the option on the circuit board) could those not be seperated out in the software and use one for the client side and one for the karma side?

ok so being the complete noob that I am, can someone point me to a howto inorder to make this work? Understanding that the host side and the client side will be competing for bandwith.. My hope is to configure the fon in advance with the client side wifi ssid/wep so that I can power the fon and walk away without a computer or other device connected to the fon.... just sitting there transparently answering and passing network traffic...

I'm using the ever trusty google so if I find my own answer I'll post my process for others

EDIT:

would this be called repeater mode???

ok so being the complete noob that I am, can someone point me to a howto inorder to make this work? Understanding that the host side and the client side will be competing for bandwith.. My hope is to configure the fon in advance with the client side wifi ssid/wep so that I can power the fon and walk away without a computer or other device connected to the fon.... just sitting there transparently answering and passing network traffic...

I'm using the ever trusty google so if I find my own answer I'll post my process for others

EDIT:

would this be called repeater mode???

not quiet sure what your asking in your post but this is what i was referencing in my OP.

http://wiki.openwrt.org/OpenWrtDocs/Kamikaze/ClientMode

I did mess around with this yesterday and couldn't get it to work so Ill be ordering another fon come next payday.