Connecting the Fon OpenWrt Jasager to your current Router/Network

Hi,

You guys have a great podcast, and cool projects to mess with and learn.

Keep up the good work.

I got a Fon and followed the Jasager install wiki and installed it with no problem. (I copied the httpd.conf file to the etc directory at the end to password protect the login pages successfully also)

I tried ICS on my MBP running XP but couldn't get it to work for some reason so instead I hooked it up to my current router at home. (I did run into some problems trying to get ICS going, but just flashed it from Step 11 and started over)

So now, I have the Fon connected to my router with a Static IP of 192.168.1.250 and protected the SSID OpenWrt with WPA2. I turned on Karma and can connect to the Fon to access the internet. After verifying that I can connect to the internet, I blacklisted OpenWrt SSID and I guess that makes it so you can't connect to the OpenWrt SSID.

When I connect to my network, I can log in to Jasager or webif at 192.168.1.250.

So, when I power up a laptop or my iPhone or a wifi device, it should show up on the Jasager connected client list if Karma is on right?

So far, I haven't gotten any clients with SSID's connected to the list.

Is the way, I'm using it incorrect? I figured, when a device tries to look for the network SSID it is associated with it will hit my Fon and connect to it and then they will have access to the internet using the Fon and the network it is connected to.

Any help is appreciated, thanks.

So, when I power up a laptop or my iPhone or a wifi device, it should show up on the Jasager connected client list if Karma is on right?

So far, I haven't gotten any clients with SSID's connected to the list.

Is the way, I'm using it incorrect? I figured, when a device tries to look for the network SSID it is associated with it will hit my Fon and connect to it and then they will have access to the internet using the Fon and the network it is connected to.

Any help is appreciated, thanks.

Does an iPhone try to automatically connect to last known APs? Try forcing it to connect to an SSID you tell it exists.

Yea, my iPhone is set to remember AP's and connect to them automatically.

I just can't figure out how to get this thing working correctly.

If I just power the fon on without it connected to anything and connect to the OpenWrt SSID and login to Jasager, turn on Karma, and not blacklist OpenWrt and wait. It should pick up clients in the list correct?

Is there anything else I have to setup in the OpenWrt webif? I basically just turned on WPA2 encryption and set it to a IP of 192.168.1.250.

Am I suppose to blacklist the OpenWrt SSID?

Thanks digininja.

Yea, my iPhone is set to remember AP's and connect to them automatically.

I just can't figure out how to get this thing working correctly.

If I just power the fon on without it connected to anything and connect to the OpenWrt SSID and login to Jasager, turn on Karma, and not blacklist OpenWrt and wait. It should pick up clients in the list correct?

Is there anything else I have to setup in the OpenWrt webif? I basically just turned on WPA2 encryption and set it to a IP of 192.168.1.250.

Am I suppose to blacklist the OpenWrt SSID?

Thanks digininja.

Sounds like you went a bit wrong here. The AP is supposed to be open, no wpa, if you have wpa then no clients will be able to connect as they won't know the key.

You shouldn't need to touch wireless in webif, destroy all athX interfaces and let Jasager create it when it starts up, that is the safest thing.

Hey Leslie, I've been trying to duplicate your setup as well and not had any luck. At work now but wondering if you've had any success with this yet. I'm trying to avoid having to setup multiple waps to get this working. Seems like I ought to be able to use the lan connection on the fon to my notebook and connect my notebook via wireless to whatever access point exists at my location. Does that make sense? Is that what you are trying to duplicate?

Hey Leslie, I've been trying to duplicate your setup as well and not had any luck. At work now but wondering if you've had any success with this yet. I'm trying to avoid having to setup multiple waps to get this working. Seems like I ought to be able to use the lan connection on the fon to my notebook and connect my notebook via wireless to whatever access point exists at my location. Does that make sense? Is that what you are trying to duplicate?

Well the reason I tried this method was because I tried ICS first and it didn't work out for me.

But yes, connecting the fon to your laptop then your laptop via wifi to your network should work, but I can't get it going (ICS).

But I will try it again and post results.