Followed the ICS guide - now I can't connect to Jasager

windows firewall=POS im sure most newbs that goto coffee shops dont have any kind of firewall running :P

Just installed vista SP1 and there is a line in the install notes saying something like:

"Turn off your AV as it will stop the upgrade from happening. We don't advise turning off AV but in this instance it is ok because we say so"

If you want to run along those lines, stick a captive portal on the fon with a message telling people how to disable their firewall if they want to use your network. I reckon a lot of people, if given clear instructions, would just follow them and turn it off.

So your ICS computer is running XP, and the test computer that wasn't connecting to the internet is running Vista?

Both are running XP. Once I turned off the firewall on the laptop connected to the fon wireless it could access the internet. Windows Firewall is turned on the machine that the fon is connected too, no problems there. I haven't tested it with Vista yet, I don't know anyone who has it.

Hmm weird, now my internet doesn't work through the FON. I'm going nuts messing with this thing.

So I entered my internets DNS servers and I got the same results as Erichapkido.

When my Vista firewall is on, I can't access the net. My iPhone I guess doesn't have a firewall and connects fine.

I'm about to give up and just use Aircrack in Ubuntu to access their router instead to play with.

OK, sorry for being a post whore, but I'm going nuts trying almost every configuration and I'm not sure if it's me or what, but some things I need other people to try.

So this whole time I put Static for Network.

I put DHCP and it doesn't give you a choice to put DNS, BUT IT WORKS NOW with the firewall on!!! But this is connected to my router now. I will try to do ICS again.

Can you try that Erichapkido? Try DHCP and post your results please. Thanks. Spare my insanity. :)

EDIT: When the FON is connected to my router, I can connect to the fon with windows machines with firewall on and it can access the net.

When I connect the fon to my XP machine trying to use ICS, I can't get it to work.

Edited by LESLIEx317537

Changing to DHCP killed my fon. It wouldn't show up on an ip scanner and when I tried to connect to it via wifi it wouldn't actually pull an IP. So back to the starting board for me. Oh well. Maybe a clean start will fix whatever was wrong.

I finally got some progress while it was hooked up to my router.

I had a spare Linksys router and named the SSID TestSSID. I used my Vista PC with wireless and connected to the TestSSID and after enabling save this network and connect automatically, I unplugged the Linksys router that was named TestSSID.

I then logged into my Fon that had a IP of 192.168.1.6 that it got from my main DHCP server on my network. After that I turned on Karma, and added TestSSID to the whitelist and then my Vista PC thought it was the Linksys TestSSID and it connected to Jasager and I was able to surf the net using my Vista PC with the firewall on.

Woo hoo, success at last.

I am almost there with my setup I am connecting to my test WIFI network (which is ICS configured) then I connect the FON via crossover cable to the same Laptop Ethernet port, setup static IP on the FON with 4.2.2.2, and opendns as my DNS, then gateway is my ethernet port IP.

When I SSH to the FON I can ping and nslookup any domains, when I use my HP IPAQ with a predefined wireless network saved in the settings the FON detects that and connect me, the only thing is I am having some issues getting to the net from the IPAQ.

I will test this better once I have two Laptops but this is all I have for now.

Lastly I had to Blacklist my Testwifi network, because when Jasager takes it over my IP changes and I am in a infinite loop without a link to the internet.

I am almost there with my setup I am connecting to my test WIFI network (which is ICS configured) then I connect the FON via crossover cable to the same Laptop Ethernet port, setup static IP on the FON with 4.2.2.2, and opendns as my DNS, then gateway is my ethernet port IP.

When I SSH to the FON I can ping and nslookup any domains, when I use my HP IPAQ with a predefined wireless network saved in the settings the FON detects that and connect me, the only thing is I am having some issues getting to the net from the IPAQ.

I will test this better once I have two Laptops but this is all I have for now.

Lastly I had to Blacklist my Testwifi network, because when Jasager takes it over my IP changes and I am in a infinite loop without a link to the internet.

is the eth port on your laptop getting dhcp from the fon? in my trial s i have noticed i have to set it statically with no gateway info otherwise it just bounces the packets back and forth until the ttl expires.

That a good question I belive I was getting a DHCP address from the FON reason being I got a 192.168.1.105 address on the IPAQ.

in my trial s i have noticed i have to set it statically with no gateway info otherwise it just bounces the packets back and forth until the ttl expires.

Which NIC did you make the changes on the non ICS NIC or the FON gateway config?

That a good question I belive I was getting a DHCP address from the FON reason being I got a 192.168.1.105 address on the IPAQ.

Which NIC did you make the changes on the non ICS NIC or the FON gateway config?

i statically configed the port between the fon and the laptop.

so did you use a default gateway on the Fon? Also have you tried this with Linux.

yes the gateway on the fon is the ip of the non-ics'd port of the laptop and no i havent tried linux. Im a windows guy...if everything worked as well as linux people claim i would be out of a job :P