ARRRGHHH Cant delete virus file.. requires a frickin password

silentknight329

ok so i'm using kapersky to do some virus scans on my friend HDD who recently discovered a virus... so i'm cleaning it off and when it comes time to "quarentine" a certain file called "go.zip" it askes me for a password... i have no idea what it is.. my buddy doesnt have a password on his account and leaving the field blank i dont have an option to quarentine so i could use some help here...

thanks

~silent

~i'll post screens asap

ok so i'm using kapersky to do some virus scans on my friend HDD who recently discovered a virus... so i'm cleaning it off and when it comes time to "quarentine" a certain file called "go.zip" it askes me for a password... i have no idea what it is.. my buddy doesnt have a password on his account and leaving the field blank i dont have an option to quarentine so i could use some help here...

thanks

~silent

~i'll post screens asap

Reinstall?

ok i forgot to mention something... mybad... but i am scanning his hdd off of my computer my windows install i just plugged in his hdd (being sata so its plug and play) and started scanning if that makes things any clearer? maybe you already understood it? i dunno\

Thanks for the fast replies

~silent

Yep, chances are by connected the infected hard drive into the clean OS, you have now spread the virus onto your own machine.

QFE! You never plug in any live infected disc to a system. Booting a Live CD or Flash drive with recovery tools on the other hand, viable solution to delete it, but how will you know what other files are now infected, which some of them may be system files and can't be deleted. I would get a live disc and bacup all important files(after scanning them) and then reinstall.

UBCD4Win has a free scanner and backup tools you can use to restore a system. Ther is a lot of edundant crap and takes a while to learn each program, but well worth the time. I recently used some of their recovery tools to get back a bunch of deleted home movies and pictures. doesn't recover everything, but can reconstruct a lof of stuff I didn't even know was on the drives, hdd and flash...

the OS on the drive you are scanning and the OS on your computer.

Yep, chances are by connected the infected hard drive into the clean OS, you have now spread the virus onto your own machine.

dont worry when i am done scanning and cleaning off that hdd i have created a restore point on my computer BEFORE i plugged in the infected hdd so your only suggestion is re-install? dang i was hoping it wouldnt come to that

If you have a virus, you will need to reinstall the machine. End of story. Going in and delicately removing a virus part by part is purely an academic exercise given the time taken compared to the time you need to get a fresh install out the door. Your infected OS install is worthless once you can recover the data. Creating a restore point wasn't worth the time it took you to think of the idea. Reinstall both machines and in future using a linux boot disk to recover the user data, scan it and then just nuke the install.

k i'll re-install... but just for future reference i'll give you guys the problem that the machine was having, and maybe just maybe it wasnt a virus i assumed it was a virus because it was doing the following things:

1. couldnt open control panel "access denied" is what it was telling me

2. couldnt open my computer - but could using the keyboard shortcut

3. desktop items dissapeared... not all of them just random ones

4. popups on ie and ff,

5. system would crash during a virus scan, going on the internet, i am guessing due to popups...

thats what the machine was doing but i'm still going to re-install thanks for your help

note: none of these things are happening to my machine

here is the pic of error that i get while scanning

protectedfilesd9.th.jpgthpix.gif

try to get a live linux cd then use an antivirus like clamav and then scan the drives oh and im sure ull be able to delete that zip file from your live linux, well its just a sugestion though i dont know if calm will pick up all the virii, i usually use do that when i get infected usb's,and it works well for me and i make sure to unhide all files on the flash to see if clam missed anything then id just delete it ...or you can format :D

I agree with Sparta and Vako. If you get a virus and its causing trouble no telling what else it did or how many times it had replicated it self. You just need to reinstall and get it over with. I did it for a friend yesterday, she "downloaded a anti-spyware tool off myspace". :P

I keep a spare machine with a fresh copy of xp on it to scan and backup files and then just reinstall it again when I'm done if you use tinyxp (some app to make it, I dont recommend the torrent for legal reasons) it installs very quickly

Actually you can use reactos, its not as stable but its opensource/free and its good enough for scan/backup