basic programs

RogueHart

i got a new laptop recently (well its about a year old but its at least 2x more powerful than my old laptop in every way. 3x in hd after os.

well i have spent about 10 hours so far downloading and installing and transferring essential programs to my new rig and i was wondering what everyone considers essential programs.

my list

winrar

msn

open office

photoshop

firefox

winamp

xfire

audacity

blitz3d

vixy.net

the kmplayer

VLC

7Zip

Pidgin

FireFox

KeyPass

CCLeaner

Utorrnet

VNC Viewer

Microsoft Office

Most of my other apps are on a separate partition of my hhd and they are all executables that do not need installing...

SAM

cpuZ

Hex-Ed

Recuva

Winscp

WPE Pro

WinDump

TSearch

OperaTor

ExifRead

SniffPass

CurrPorts

WireShark

Notepad++

Cain & Able

ScatterChat

IECacheView

JPEG Quality

ThumbsExtract

UltraShredder

WinFingerPrint

WinInterrogate

HFS File Server

No offence, but that took you 10h's? seems like a couple to me.

essentials that i have not repeating urs:

Notepad ++

Combined Community Codec Pack (CCCP)

Kasperky

daemon tools (maybe not so for a laptop though)

those+ installing games and transferring files from old computer to new computer and then configuring vista. those are just the essential programs. not everything ive done to get my computer ready for use

gotta add crimson editor to my list. in my opinion crimson editor>notepad++

Vista, nuff said. Copying anything to vista seems to take forever. I spent well over 12 hours copying files to Vista where as when I got fed up with Vista, copying the same files after reinstalling XP took only a few hours. Something in Vistas network copy function is borked and I think they improved it in SP1, but I'm not running Vista on any main pc any longer, just in Vmware at the moment.

Vista, nuff said. Copying anything to vista seems to take forever. I spent well over 12 hours copying files to Vista where as when I got fed up with Vista, copying the same files after reinstalling XP took only a few hours. Something in Vistas network copy function is borked and I think they improved it in SP1, but I'm not running Vista on any main pc any longer, just in Vmware at the moment.

agreed. which is why i setup an ftp server on my old laptop lol. 500kbs usually more. which is much faster than my download speed. and since my old hd is only a 40 gig(with about 15-20 being personal files) and it only taking about an hour for 3 gigs its not the transfer speed thats got me lol