Is this a scam?

MaxRabbit

Hey guys, I've been a member of this site for quite a while and have a high respect for you. I'm hoping that you guys can use your hacking knowledge to help me out with this one website that I found when I was searching for an iPhone. The name of the website is "Ricardo's Closet", found at foneaddons.com. All payment on this site goes through PayPal.

Now, I have no idea whether he could still scam me through PayPal, so to be safe I'm asking for your help to find all we can about this guy. Here is what he's told me in emails when I expressed interest in an iPhone: He's from Charlotte, North Carolina. That's about the extent of it.

And here's what I've found out so far from a WHOIS of his site:

FONEADDONS

535 TANSY DRIVE

CHARLOTTE, NC 28214

US

Registrar: DOTSTER

Domain Name: FONEADDONS.COM

Created on: 10-AUG-08

Expires on: 10-AUG-09

Last Updated on: 10-AUG-08

Administrative, Technical Contact:

BURRESS, RICARDO foneaddons@hotmail.com

FONEADDONS

535 TANSY DRIVE

CHARLOTTE, NC 28214

US

757-572-7753

So, can you guys help me out and find out all you can about the site? I don't know what you guys can do, but as I said I know you can do amazing things ;)

Secondly, I'm completely open to non-technical suggestions also, and will PayPal protect me from being scammed?

Thanks a billion!

max

Maybe try a refurbished one or Ebay, but I tend not to trust people who I never heard of or know anything about. If you knew someone who bought one from him, then I'd say go for it, but if it sounds too good to be true, its because it usually is.

I opened it and I dont trust it at first site, it looks like wordpress.

LOL..wordpress means its not legit...I hadn't heard that one before. Like Sarah Palin said, "can I plagiarize you" on that one?

I opened it and I dont trust it at first site, it looks like wordpress.

I think its Sitebuilder, not a wordpress page. Either way, still not one I'd trust without more info on the guy/gal running it.

says SWsoft Sitebuilder 4.1.0 right in the source of the page. And, if you manage to break some php, you get errors pointing back to normal modules on a sitebuilder type layout, like

Undefined class name 'sb_modules' in /usr/local/pem............

Well, yeah, I've decided not to do it. One thing that REALLY persuaded me not to is this:

I looked at his guestbook and contacted the people who claimed they got stuff from him. I got a reply from both, at around the same time. The one, badbadcredit@hotmail.com, claimed to be a "Stacy" that got her iPhones from him. However, you know what Stacy's name was?

"RICK BURRESS"

Bastard. To think I was actually going to buy from him...

yep scam

the site is poorly made

another problem, theres no security policy

his site doesn't verify any info given to it

it is not ssl secured

it seems as if he is hosting the site on his own pc for it so have such little bandwidth (probably so it can be taken down quickly if needed)

it has just about all the red flags of a scam site

he also never includes any evidence that those images on his site are not stock pics found on other places

and most people now have iphones, that may be his personal one

Damn. Can we do anything to punish him?

not really but

fake info ftw

85540629vg6.jpg

i wonder if he will ship it to me at

address :aaa

phone number 0000000000

name first and last, aaa

the button tries to take you directly to the checkout process i think he hoped that you would already be logged in and mistakenly clicking would automatically make the payment

it skips the product listing page (if there even is one to begin with and does what seems to be automatically process a payment ) and because theres no agreement it may be completely legal unless you can prove otherwise )

<script type="text/javascript">
        function processForm() {
            var form = document.getElementById('hiddenForm');
            if (null == form) {
                document.location.href= "?action=checkout&view=finishPage";
            } else {
                form.submit();
                document.location.href= "?view=finishPage";
            }
        }
        function UpdateNextButton() {
            var checkbox = document.getElementById('acceptanceCheckbox');
            var button = document.getElementById('nextButton');
            if (checkbox != null && button != null) {
                button.disabled = !checkbox.checked;
            }
        }
        UpdateNextButton();
    </script>

It is interesting that on the check out page he does not require your State or Zip code, but asks for your address and city. Also non of the traffic is encrypted.

Server=Apache/2.0.46 (Red Hat) FrontPage/5.0.2.2635

Expires=Wen, 04 Jul 1980 06:15:00 GMT

Registered with http://www.domain.com/

registration id is d1066867

EDIT

However this could be some guy trying to get his hands dirty with the .com thing. He may not have a lot of experience with building or securing website and hell, some one could contract their services to him and make a quick buck.

So what happened Razor? I went through the checkout process without paying and he sent me an angry email stating I was interrupting his business ;)

Also, looky: "These are for people who cant afford the real iphone. Looks and works the same. I sell more of these phone then the real ones."

-How could he sell so many already when he just put them up?!

So what happened Razor? I went through the checkout process without paying and he sent me an angry email stating I was interrupting his business ;)

Also, looky: "These are for people who cant afford the real iphone. Looks and works the same. I sell more of these phone then the real ones."

-How could he sell so many already when he just put them up?!

not sure he wont be able to contact me anyway because all of the info is fake wand would automatically be rejected by just about any other shopping site

someone should email him about being interested in purchasing some iphones then give then a call back number of (202) 324-3000

be sure to get him angry in the email so if he is steamed enough to call and harass you over the phone, they would be calling the perfect place that is designed to deal with him

the site seems more like a scam especially since it tried to skip you past the paypal confirmation and item page (because you are not able to see the paypal order info before paying so it could be anything your agreeing to and you wont know until you pay )

so when you contact paypal about not getting the item you received, the scammer will say that there was no contract and the PayPal was strictly a donation, the payment info even says so (which you didn't see because the script was designed to skip those pages and possibly process the payment also if your already logged in)

Hi, everybody this is Ricardo Burress CEO of Ricardo's Closet. I been reading some bad stuff about my website and how it's a scam. Let me just say this first of all you dont have any clue who your dealing with. Second, my brother is Plaxico Burress from the NY Giants and why would I scam somebody for a couple dollars when I can just jump in a Maybach hit the tarmac and hit Miami.... So before you start making up stuff about who I am you better check yourself out first. My lawyer's are checking into this matter and I sure all this information here on this blog will be used against who ever is spreading this rumor mill. If you want to purchase anything from my site please do so if not thats cool I wont lose sleep and my house and car will still be here. So thank you all for helping me spread the word... that my website has just been launched and still under construction. Thank you.

hamptonroads.com/2008/02/former-coach-basks-burress-glory

www.ccaaevents.com

Hi, everybody this is Ricardo Burress CEO of Ricardo's Closet. I been reading some bad stuff about my website and how it's a scam. Let me just say this first of all you dont have any clue who your dealing with. Second, my brother is Plaxico Burress from the NY Giants and why would I scam somebody for a couple dollars when I can just jump in a Maybach hit the tarmac and hit Miami.... So before you start making up stuff about who I am you better check yourself out first. My lawyer's are checking into this matter and I sure all this information here on this blog will be used against who ever is spreading this rumor mill. If you want to purchase anything from my site please do so if not thats cool I wont lose sleep and my house and car will still be here. So thank you all for helping me spread the word... that my website has just been launched and still under construction. Thank you.

hamptonroads.com/2008/02/former-coach-basks-burress-glory

www.ccaaevents.com

Dear Ms. RICARDO BURRESS

It has recently came to my attention that you are a whiny baby. Criticism over your website should be taken with a open mind. Seeing that your web page lacks the professional quality that people expect from a trusted source. Coming onto a web form and voicing you complaints is more then welcome, but threatening legal action will get you now where, that is retarded. I bid you to sue my buttocks.

The first amendment right allows us to critique your business as long as we do not slander it. We never stated that your site was indeed a "scam" merely pointed out shady factors, and horrible design ideas.

I am happy that under this time of economic depression you have the money to fly to Miami and do what ever it is you do there. We were not questioning you income, only the shitty website you run. So i say good day to you sir.

Eat my butt,

Dingle Berries

So before you start making up stuff about who I am you better check yourself out first.

thats right. u go girl, you be'er (better) tell him

NOTE:i was CRITISIZING that one line, but still agree, what he did with skipping the confirmation is

A)wrong

B)stupid

C) illegal somehow?

EDIT: also, love that line "eat my butt' nice

MY MESSAGE TO HIM.. he did PM me

Why hello there Richard. I am quite certain that you have read many horrible things about your site on the Hak5 forums. Let me assure you that it is not meant as a disrespect to you personally, only your shady looking site. You see here in America, there is freedom of press/speech, and here on the "interwebz" we like to exercise that. So you coming on here trying to seem like an imposing figure wont work. I myself am a law student, and am very aware of the law.

And speaking of your brother. Is her the same Plaxico Burress that has had 2 domestic dispute calls against him[1]? The same one that was suspended for a whole game because he missed a meeting[2]? The same one that has a whole website devoted to how bad of a player he is[3]? The same horrible football player everyone doesn't know[citation needed]?

Have a good day sir and take your bull shit else where.

1. http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football...c_spats_dr.html

2. http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2008/09...ghlin_sadd.html

3. http://www.talk-sports.net/nfl/sucks.aspx/Plaxico_Burress

Also your site doesn't validate W3C