home built computer wont boot

jake

Im over at my fiends house and he had just ordered parts to build our own computer so we were putting it all together and realize it will power up, the lights come on and the fans spin up but their is no display out put to the monitor, this msi sli p6n plat. motherboard does not have onboard video we i have just the core 2 duo cpu, navidea graphic card and the motherboard hooked up, took out all the HDs and SD drives, ne idea why it wont give me a display? -jake

with no display i cant get to the bios....i did put the lil buton inside to reset cmos, but the board is bran new

Sounds like the GPU is either not seated correctly, does not have power (If a newer one like PCI Express cards, they require additional power not just form the PCI slot. make sure you hooked up power to the card) or the GPU is not working all together and you might want to try another card to test it.

ex: http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/...b/CS-012073.htm

[usually i get alot of this problem i check the following,cpu seated correctly, graphic card seated correctly, monitor plugged in and on, and last but very important is the ram is working i usually check it in another pc and i make sure its seated correctly when i put it back. I know you may argue but a computer beeps when there is no ram i know but sometimes the sound doesnt come up either because of failed speaker or not connected correctly so double check ram

Power supply strong enough for the system?

http://www.eggxpert.com/forums/thread/276989.aspx

Seems a lot of people with similar issue, and the mobo being either dead or not enough power.

Power supply strong enough for the system?

http://www.eggxpert.com/forums/thread/276989.aspx

Seems a lot of people with similar issue, and the mobo being either dead or not enough power.

True!! Id suggest to keep all unplugged such as CD/DVD roms and all other expansion cards. From there power on the pc with only the necessities. If that still doesnt work then i think you should try an alternative monitor

i tried a different computer on the monitor and the monitor is ok, as far as unpluging things, i only have the cpu/fan, 1 2GB ram chip and the 8600gt graphic card, bcaz the board does not have onboard video

Dose the motherboard offer any function by which it will display 'codes' to indicate what it is doing?

Some motherboards have LEDs where a particular display configuration means it's doing different things. Some display hex values on a small display. The CROSSHAIR motherboard from Asus has a LCD panel that tells you in English what it is doing at boot.

yes the mother board has leds but they dont turn on, we dont get a post caz their is no display at all, and the power supply works fine (it was tested in another machine) and this one still powers up (all the fans and case lights come on) their is just no display out put, almost like the monitor was not plugged in, but it is....so.... ya,

ill get some pictures wen i get down their